Blue Ox Flat Towing Parts Needed for a 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ


I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ. Bumper is factory standard. Id like to flat tow it behind a Class C motorhome. Can you recommend a Blue ox setup for it? Can I send you a picture of the front of my Jeep, for you to determine which baseplate I should get? Thanks


Helpful Expert Reply:

We have exactly what you are looking for. First you will need to check out the pictures I attached to determine which bumper style you have on your 2002 Jeep Wrangler though.

If you have the U-channel bumper you would need the part # BX1118 and if you have the double tube bumper you would need the part # BX1120.

In addition to the base plates, you will also need a compatible tow bar, safety cables, lighting, and supplemental braking to flat tow your vehicle. The most popular compatible tow bar is the Blue Ox Alpha Tow # BX7380 which includes safety cables. The coiled design helps keep the cables off of the ground.

For lighting you can use the bulb and socket kit, # RM-152, and not have to worry about cutting into the taillight housings. You will also want the # BX88206 to connect this lighting solution to your tow vehicle. This comes with a round 6-way connector that you will install on the front of your towed vehicle and enough coiled wire to go from there to the RV.

And finally, most states now require supplemental braking in the vehicle being flat towed. The easiest system to set up and use is the Blue Ox Patriot II, # BRK2016, that applies the vehicle brakes in proportion to how much the tow vehicle is braking. This is the safest way to stop and it reduces wear and tear on both vehicles.

Most likely you will also need a high low adapter so that the tow bar will be level when you are flat towing. I attached a link to a page that has all of the ones we carry.

I have included a couple of helpful links to our articles on flat towing for you. Be sure to consult the vehicle owners manual for more specific information on flat towing your vehicle.

Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
helpful expert reply by:
Jameson C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Follow up Questions

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>