bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Wiring for Toyota 2010 Highlander with a 7-Way connector for Towing  


I have a new 2010 Toyota Highlander with the trailer tow prep package. I am wanting to install a Curt Hitch and wiring harness for a 5 pin flat connector or maybe even go ahead and install the 7 pin round connector. What part numbers do I need?


Expert Reply:

You will need the Curt Class III Round Tube Trailer Hitch, item # 13534, and with the tow package you will need the T-One Connector Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector - Toyota Highlander, item # 118449.

I would go ahead and install the 7-Way connector. We have the Brake Controller 7 & 4 Way Installation Kit, item # ETBC7, which includes everything needed to install the wiring for the 7-way connector, once you have the 4-Way installed. You mentioned a 5-Way connector and if you have a boat with electric lockout for the brakes you would connect the center pole of the 7-way to the reverse light circuit behind one of the vehicle tail lights, to activate this function. You could then use the Adapter 7 Pole to 5 Pole Flat - Molded, item # A75TB, which provides power from the reverse circuit through the center pole.

I have posted instructions below for the installation of the 7-Way installation kit mentioned. You may want a brake controller also and I would recommend the Prodigy, item # 90885, which is easy to use and gets great reviews by our customers. With these items installed you have the option of towing just about any trailer you like.

If you decide to install a 5-Way flat connector you will just need the # 50642 harness and a Hopkins Wiring Harness with 5-Pole Flat Trailer Connector - Vehicle End - 5' Long # HM37908. You will then cut off the 4-Way and splice the yellow, green, brown and white wires by color and splice the blue wire to the reverse light circuit behind one of the vehicle tail lights.

expert reply by:
Bob G

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Continue Researching

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>