bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Can 5-3/4 Inch or Similar Size Equalizer Replace 7-3/4 Inch Equalizer  


i bought a used trailer hanger spacing is 29-1/2 inches axle spacing is 33 inches leaf springs 25-1/4 5 it has a 7-3/4 equalizer is that right i want to change to your lippert part # LC279687 or your dexter E-Z Flex item # 013-143-03 everything i have reviewed on your website about these dimensions says it should take the shorter one thank you for your help


Expert Reply:

It's not uncommon for a trailer with a 29-1/2 inch axle spacing to use either 7-3/4 inch or 5-3/4 inch (or similar) equalizers but the shorter ones are more commonly used with the 25-1/4 inch leaf springs, like the ones you have, designed for up to 6,000 axles. So, the Lippert # LC279687 could potentially work for you.

Keep in mind that the previous trailer owner could have been using shorter shackle straps to make up for the longer equalizers. Otherwise, an equalizer that is too long will typically end up wanting to tilt instead of sitting level.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while most 5-1/2 to 5-3/4 equalizers have a 9/16 inch diameter center hole, some 7-3/4 equalizers, like # TREQE34, have a 3/4 inch center hole instead. So, you'll want to ensure all your existing shackles and bolts will work well with the new equalizers.

I recommend the Dexter E-Z Flex Heavy Duty Rubber Suspension System # K71-652-00. This includes the appropriate sized 2-1/4 inch shackles, wet bolts and center bolts along with the 5-5/8 inch E-Z Flex equalizers, which will work great to upgrade your existing 7-3/4 inch equalizers. The Dexter E-Z Flex tend to be less stiff and take up less space than the Lippert Equa-Flex, so for those reasons I recommend going this route.

If you're also looking to replace your springs while you're at it, you can use the # e34SR, which is designed for 6,000 lb axles and has the same length (25-1/4 inches) as your existing ones.

expert reply by:
Carla M

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Continue Researching

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>