2-Bike Carrier Recommendation for 2010 Toyota Matrix
Hi. I have a 2010 Toyota matrix and need a good bike rack that will fit 2 bikes. What do you recommend? Thank you.
asked by: Steve R
You have two general options for bike racks for use on your 2010 Matrix: a hitch mount rack (that requires a hitch be installed on the vehicle) and a trunk-mount type. The trunk mount route will be more cost-effective, but the hitch-mount option gives you the ability to use both a hitch-mount bike rack and other hitch-mount accessories such as a cargo carrier. A hitch also means that the weight load of the bike rack and bikes will be carried by the strongest part of the car - its frame - rather than its sheet metal.
If you prefer the hitch idea I suggest Curt Trailer Hitch # C12221 which bolts on using included hardware without need for drilling or welding. With this Class II hitch you can use one of the Class II hanging carriers shown on the link provided. With a hitch type rack you will have the ability to carry more bikes than on a trunk rack. Curt requires use of their stabilizing strap # 18050 with their hitch.
If a 2-bike trunk-mount rack is preferred then I suggest Hollywood Racks Over-the-Top 2 Bike Carrier # HRF2, which is designed to work on vehicles like your Matrix that have a rear spoiler (a feature that makes many otherwise great racks a poor fit on your car). This unique carrier is shown in the linked video.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Hitch Cargo Carrier
- Tie Down Straps
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Trailer Hitch Receiver Sizes
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Q&A: How to Determine Between 5 on 4-1/2 and 5 on 5 Bolt Patterns for Hub Covers
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: Comparing Trailer Hitches # 12221 and # C12013 for a 2007 Toyota Matrix
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Article: Determining Trailer Tongue Weight
- Article: How to Correct Noise from Exhaust Rattling Against a Trailer Hitch
- Article: Ball Mount Basics: Weight Capacity, Class, and Size
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Tow Trailer with 2007 Toyota Matrix
- Q&A: Is A 2 Inch Trailer Hitch Available For A 2009 Toyota Camry
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between Class 1 and Class 2 Hitches for the Scion XB
- Q&A: Which Way Do the Washers Install On the Curt Hitch C12228
- Q&A: Can a 1-7/8 inch Ball be Used to Replace a 2 inch Ball on a Trailer that is Hard to Unhook