Trailer Wiring

change make

Select Vehicle Model

Trailer Wiring

Available Models for 2006 Dodge Trailer Wiring

Trailer Wiring Harness

Make installing your trailer wiring harness as easy as possible with a custom fit wiring harness. Trailer wiring from Draw-Tite, Curt, Pollak, Tow Ready, Bosal, and Hopkins eliminates or reduces the need to cut and splice wires. It also helps to protect your vehicle's sensitive electronics from mis-wired trailers.

Choose the year of your vehicle to the left to find a custom fit trailer wiring harness.

Wiring Adapter Fitguide

Trailer Connectors and Adapters

Wire and Wiring Accessories

Trailer Wiring Manufacturers

Accessories

2006 Dodge Questions and Answers

• Amber Trailer Light Lens To Replace Glo-Brite 118A Trailer Light Lens
  • Based on my research, the Glo-Brite 118A amber light is approximately 4 inches long by 1-1/2 inches wide. I spoke with my contact at Optronicc who confirmed that their Replacement Amber Lens # A44AB will fit the Glo-Brite 118A trailer light. I found the Glo-Brite 117R light to be a red taillight of the same 4 inches by 1-1/2 inches. For a replacement lens for the red light you could use part # A44RB.
    view full answer...

• Location of Brake Control Connector on 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
  • If your Ram is equipped with the tow package including the 7-way trailer connector on the rear bumper, the connector for installing your brake controller will be located above the white junction box behind and a bit above the emergency brake pedal. The connector is usually light blue in color. If the plug is present, you'd need the # HM47755 brake controller wiring to install the Hopkins Agility brake controller in your Ram. If your Ram was not equipped with the trailer connector, the...
    view full answer...

• How to Wire the LED Trailer License-Plate Light # LPL55CB
  • You will need to use a quick splice, item # 804C, and splice the black wire from the LED Trailer License-Plate Light, item # LPL55CB, into the tail light wire on your trailer. The tail light wire is normally the brown wire, but you should use a circuit tester, item # 3808 if needed, to be sure you are splicing into the correct wire. You will then need to attach the white wire to ground, usually the trailer frame or the white wire coming from the trailer connector. Once wired the license...
    view full answer...

• Disc Brake Kit Availability for a Dexter 10k Axle
  • The Kodiak 10K Disc Brake Kit # K2R1058D11 is intended to allow conversion of a Dexter 8-288 idler hub for use with disc brakes. It is compatible ONLY with one specific hub, the Dexter hub 8-288 built between February 1990 and August 2009. What you can do is take off your hubs and measure the diameter of the spindle where the bearings and seal rides. If where the bearings ride is 2.250 and 1.750 and for the seal 2.875 this hub will fit. If your trailer already has disk brakes then you...
    view full answer...

• How to Carry a Womens Bike with the Saris Bones 2 Bike Rack
  • All you would need is an adapter bar to carry a women's bike with the Saris Bones 2 Bike Rack part # SA805BL. An adapter bar like the part # 64005 would attach to the seat post of your bike and at the steering stem to provide a horizontal attachment point for the bike rack. Check out the review video I attached for this product as well.
    view full answer...

• Trailer Lights Stay on Once Vehicle Ignition is Shut Off
  • I suspect your problem is caused by a damaged or corroded trailer connector. Take a look at your trailer connectors, both the socket on your truck as well as the plug on the trailer. Look for green or white corrosion on the pins or sockets of the connectors. If corrosion is visible, there is a strong possibility that the corrosion has spread to the interior of the connector. The terminals that each individual circuit connects to are very close together, if corrosion builds up on the...
    view full answer...

• How to Set Up the Correct Amount of Chain Links for Installing a Weight Distribution System
  • How many links get used when installing a weight distribution system really depends on the tongue weight of the trailer. Basically you set up a WD system so that the tow vehicle sits as level as possible when loaded. Changing the amount of links used (or the angle of the WD head), allow the system to apply more or less spring bar tension on the setup. You want to apply the correct amount so that the tow vehicle sits as level as possible. You won't want to use less than 6 links. For...
    view full answer...

• How to Convert Dexter 10k Drum Brakes to Electric Over Hydraulic Disc
  • We have just what you would need. For idler hubs you would first need to start with the part # 8-214-5UC1 (if you don't have these already) and then to install a disc brake kit specifically for these hubs you would need the part # K2R1058D11 for each axle. This is a Dexter 10k oil bath setup just like what you have. For an electric over hydraulic drum actuator for your trailer you would want the part # HS381-9066. That comes with everything electronically. For a 30 foot long tandem...
    view full answer...

• Available Lippert 5th Wheel Trailer Shock Absorber Kits
  • We offer two heavy-duty trailer oil shock kits from Lippert, who makes most of the RV frames in use. Those kits are designed for either 3-inch axle tubes, part # LC281281, or for 2-3/8-inch axle tubes, part # LC281255. Both kits include mounting brackets. The shocks in both kits measure 13-1/2-inches long when extended.
    view full answer...

• Recommendation for Suspesion Enhancement Compatible with a Gooseneck Trailer Hitch, 2006 Dodge Ram
  • In order to determine if the Timbren Vehicle Suspension, # TDR2500CA, and the B and W gooseneck hitch you have installed will interfere with each other, you will need to take a look at the installation details, linked below, and the video showing installation on a similar truck to see if any of the same attachment points are used. Based on the video and instructions, to me it seems unlikely but possible that the two will interfere with each other. Also, these springs are designed for...
    view full answer...

• How to Bypass the TIPM of a 2006 Dodge Ram and Install a 7-Way Trailer Connector
  • The TIPM of your 2006 Dodge Ram can be frustrating to deal with in terms of trailer wiring. When you short out the TIPM you have to take it to a dealer so that they can reset it, and they will only do this so many times before you have to spend a ton of money to replace it. The best way around the TIPM is to bypass it all together with the trailer wiring. For that you can use the wiring harness part # 119178KIT for a 4-way, and then for converting the 4-way to a 7-way you would want...
    view full answer...

• How to Make a 7-Way to 6-Way Square Jayco Trailer Connector Adapter
  • There is no adapter available that will go from a 7-Way vehicle side connector to a 6-Way square Jayco connector. You will need to make one using the follow parts: 7-Way trailer connector # H20042 6-Pole Square Trailer Wiring Connector Kit, # 37995 Start by identifying the wire functions of the trailer side connector so that it will be easier to wire in the 7-Way later. Connect the 7-Way wires on H20042 to the vehicle side connector in # 37995 based on function. On the H20042: the...
    view full answer...

• Recommended Spacers for 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 With 6 inch Lift and Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs
  • For the Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs # F2299 to properly fit on your 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD with a 6 inch lift you will need the Lift Spacers # F2375. These are confirmed to fit vehicles with a 6 inch lift. You can verify this by measuring the distance between the upper and lower brackets. If it is between 11-1/2 inches and 12-1/2 inches then these spacers are exactly what you need. A great accessory to the Firestone Ride-Rite Springs is the Firestone Air Command I # F2158....
    view full answer...

• Gooseneck Adapter to Provide Additional Clearance Between 2006 Dodge Mega Cab and 5th Wheel Trailer
  • Where exactly is the 5th wheel contacting the bed? If its contacting the rear of the cab, then you will need to look into a sliding fifth wheel hitch or a fixed fifth wheel hitch with a sidewinder pin box as long as you have a short bed truck. The Ranch Hitch Offset Coupler Adapter, # AM3139, that you referenced will give you additional clearance when turning, but it is not designed to completely eliminate contact between your trailer and truck cab. If the trailer loft is hitting the...
    view full answer...

• What Installation Kit for Mounting RBW Lil Rocker 5th Wheel Hitch in 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup
  • We offer the Reese Universal Base Rail and 10-Bolt Installation Kit, part # RP30035. This kit is fully compatible with your RBW Lil Rocker 5th wheel hitch and includes all hardware, L-brackets and above-bed base rails. I have included links to an installation video and to the written instructions for this product. If your Ram is equipped with overload springs, you can also use the custom-fit Reese Mounting Bracket Kit for Dodge Ram, part # RP58186, which replaces the L-brackets included...
    view full answer...

• Installing 7-Way Trailer Connector in Bed of 2006 Dodge Ram
  • Hopkins offers a T-Connector type set up, part # HM42137 that would plug inline with the existing 7-way on your bumper and provide a 7-way in your truck bed. The wiring harness is 8 feet long, but any existing slack can be taken up and bundled up under the vehicle with zip ties. Using the T-Type connector will allow a 7-way to remain at the rear bumper while adding one to the truck bed, which you would not have if you simply relocated the existing 7-way to the truck bed. The HM42190...
    view full answer...

• Sliding 5th Wheel Hitch Recommendation for a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab
  • We have quite a few different fifth wheel hitch and installation kit options that will work with your 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab. You can definitely use the Curt E5 sliding fifth wheel hitch, # 16516, that you referenced which has a 16,000 lb weight capacity. This is one of our most economically priced hitches next to the Pro Series 15K sliding hitch, # PS30094, which will also work with your truck. If you choose to go with the Curt E5 hitch, you will also need an installation kit....
    view full answer...

• Ram Truck Factory Puck System for 5th Wheel Hitches
  • The Ram OEM 5th wheel puck system, shown in the linked photo and article, was launched in 2013 so what you have in your truck is likely to be an aftermarket installation of some kind. These newer Ram trucks with the factory prep can directly accept a specialized 5th wheel hitch such as the B&W # BWRVK3600 or the Curt # C16545-16021. Such hitches drop right into those factory pucks, allowing you to completely remove the hitch for a clear bed when necessary for cargo. Without seeing the...
    view full answer...

• Recommended Replacement 5-Post Step Pad for Unknown Brand of Nerf Bar
  • You can click on the linked page to see all our brands of tube steps for your 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup. You will want to try to visually match your nerf bars to those shown to narrow down the many options to the specific style and brand you have. First, at the top of the page you can use the drop-down menu bar to select your truck's cab style; this will help narrow down the results. One of your existing step pads may have a logo or branding somewhere on it. Based on your dimensions and...
    view full answer...

• WhereTo Locate a Brake Controller Port on a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with Factory 4-Way
  • Your truck may or may not have a connector under the dash for a brake controller. It is usually a blue connector located just to the right of the emergency brake pedal. It should have 4 wires coming out of it that are labeled. I have included a link to a brake controller install page for Dodge trucks that should help you find the port if you have it. It will also walk through the installation process. Without knowing exactly what 4-Way to 7-Way adapter you have, I cannot say for sure...
    view full answer...

• Recommendations for Towing a 5th Wheel Trailer with a Short Bed Truck with a Gooseneck Hitch
  • Since you have a short bed truck I would not recommend you use a fifth wheel to gooseneck adapter to tow your RV. The problem will be that you will not have enough clearance to make 90 degree turns with the RV because of the lack of clearance between the front of the trailer and the cab of your truck. Some fifth wheel trailers do not recommend the use of adapters so you will want to check the owners manual of the trailer as well. Honestly the best recommendation I could give you would...
    view full answer...

• Trailer Lights Flicker After Installing New LED Lights and Rewiring a Car Hauler Trailer
  • You have definitely taken all of the correct steps so far. Since you are still experiencing problems after the rewire and installing new lights, I would suspect a ground problem. Especially since you were careful not to pinch or damage any of the new wires. Rust and corrosion can often show up at ground locations where the wires make contact with the metal. If you used any of the original ground screw holes, I recommend moving them to a clean bare surface on the trailer frame and scrape...
    view full answer...

• Will the Dexter Nev-R-Adjust Brake Assembly # 23-458 Replace the Dexter Brake Assembly # 023-466-00
  • The Dexter Brake Assembly, # 023-466-00, that you currently have is basically the same brake assembly as the Dexter Nev-R-Adjust Brake Assembly, # 23-458. They are both 12 x 2 Nev-R-Adjust electric brake assemblies for 6,000-lb axles. If you would like a right hand assembly as well, you can use part # 23-459. The only difference between these two brake assemblies is that the Dexter Brake Assembly, # 23-458, has not been certified by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
    view full answer...

• How to Determine if Rails are Standard Fifth Wheel Rails
  • It sounds like you could have a set of standard fifth wheel rails that most manufacturers use for their fifth wheel hitches to install into. The different manufacturers all make their own brand of rail kit, but they all have basically the same dimensions so that other manufacturers hitches would fit into them. Check out the picture I attached to see dimensions of standard rails and compare them to yours. If you do determine that you do have standard size rails the Curt E5 5th Wheel Trailer...
    view full answer...

• Type and Size of Wheel Studs Used on Dexter Hub/Drum # 8-174-5UC3
  • The Dexter Hub/ Drum Assembly you referenced, part # 8-174-5UC3 uses 9/16 x 3 screw-in wheel studs. We do not offer a 1/2 x 3 screw-in wheel stud, nor do our suppliers offer one. To remove the wheel studs, you would use two lug nuts jammed together, like a reverse of the procedure shown in the video I will link you to.
    view full answer...

• Wiring Diagram And Orange Wire Connection for Roadmaster InvisiBrake Supplemental Braking System
  • The orange wire, see wiring diagram attached, is not used for the Roadmaster InvisiBrake Supplemental Braking System, RM-8700. Roadmaster added that wire when developing the braking system and found that it was not needed, so it is not used for installation at all. I attached an installation video that should help you with your installation also. If you look closely just after the 8:48 minute mark you can see the orange wire and that it was not used in the installation. We just bundle...
    view full answer...

• Replacement 7-Way Trailer Connector # 20135 for 2006 Dodge Ram
  • As long as the corresponding socket located behind the bumper is still intact, the Tow Ready # 20135 will replace the damaged 7-way trailer connector. You can use a circuit tester like part # 40376 to test the existing connector to ensure it is still functional. This is done by activating the lighting circuits (headlight, taillight and turn signal) and testing the pins and making sure they light the tester. I have linked you to a video showing how the tester is used.
    view full answer...

• Difference in Leland Pin Boxes And What Sidewinder Needed For 2006 Dodge Ram
  • The Leland pin boxes 7910, 7920 and 7921 are all different model pin boxes that just fit different trailer applications. The 7910 pin box is a standard type and the 7920 and 7921 pin boxes are extended type. The Sidewinder Fifth Wheel King Pin with Rotating Turret, # ST400-SW16K, is listed as the Sidewinder to fit all three of the Leland pin boxes. I am sending a page link to show what sidewinder fits what pin boxes. I could not find a pin box with a number 7900. I called...
    view full answer...

• Which Fifth Wheel Hitch for a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Pickup with a Short Bed
  • The custom install kit for the 1500 and 2500 model is actually the same. The 16K Fifth Wheel with Slider, part # RP30051 would work great. If your Ram is NOT equipped with the overload springs, use install kit # RP50140-58. If your truck does have the overload springs, use install kit # RP30035-186. As far as a brake controller goes, you cannot go wrong with the Tekonsha Prodigy P2, part # 90885. Not only is the Prodigy our best selling brake controller, it is also very easy to use...
    view full answer...

• Is A Taller 2 Inch Hitch Ball Available For A Class I Hitch
  • I went out to our warehouse to measure the height of the Tow Ready Hitch Ball, # 63802, and found that it is 3-1/2 inches tall from the ball mount surface to the top of the ball. This hitch ball has a 1 inch shank diameter. You need to measure the diameter of the shank hole for the hitch ball on your Class I hitch to see if it has a 1 inch or 3/4 inch diameter. Most of the Class I and Class II ball mounts have a 3/4 inch hole for the hitch ball. If it has a 3/4 inch diameter, you...
    view full answer...

^
About Us
photos and videos

Original Photos & Videos

Produced to make sure you know what you are getting and you get exactly what you need.

installations

Installations Completed

To make sure products work and fit the way they are supposed to.

etrailer call center

Phone Calls & Emails Answered

1,125,924 phone calls and 1,350,587 emails to help find the right solution.

etrailer training
400+

Average Hours of Product Training

We get to know our products firsthand so experts can better help you.

etrailer service

Years of Quality Customer Service

Assisting our neighbors and customers, face to face at the counter.

etrailer experts

Pages of Expert Information

Created to make sure you have all the answers to your questions, from real experts.