Does Truck with 6-1/2 ft bed Have to Use Slider Hitch for Turning Clearance with Fifth Wheel Hitch
Will a fixed position fifth wheel hitch work in a 6.5 ft bed and not cause turning problems when pulling a 8ft. wide fifth wheel trailer.
asked by: Dean
Helpful Expert Reply:
You will have to go with a sliding hitch to allow the trailer to make tight turns. For a trailer 8 feet wide the only bed length that's going to allow 90 degree turns without a slider is a stationary hitch.
That being said you have two options. If you really want to use a stationary hitch like the part # RP30033 you can replace the pin box on your trailer with a Sidewinder and that will allow the clearance.
Sidewinders are pin box specific so you will first need to know what pin box you have now in order to pick out the correct one.
There should be a sticker or a stamping on the OEM pin box of the trailer that will list the pin box number that is on the trailer.
Once you figure out which pin box you have you can check the FAQ I attached that has a chart that shows the correct Sidewinder to get based on which pin box you have.
The other option is an automatic slider hitch like the Demco Hijacker part # DM8550034. This will automatically slide back as you make tight turns allowing you the clearance you'd need.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Sliding Fifth Wheel
- Above Bed Rails
- 4500 lbs Vertical Load
- 18000 lbs GTW
- Double Pivot
- Premium - Single-Hook Jaw
- 16-1/2 - 19-1/4 Inch Tall
- 14 Inch Fore/Aft Travel
more information >
Video/Article/FAQ this Question was Asked FromArticle or Video
Featured Help Information
- Shop: Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Shop: Gooseneck Hitch
- Shop: Trailer Wiring
- Shop: Suspension Enhancement
- Video: Choosing the Best Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Shop: B&W Patriot 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch w/ Slider - Dual Jaw - 18,000 lbs
- Shop: B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Slider for Chevy/GMC Towing Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 20K
- Shop: B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Chevy/GMC Towing Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 20,000 lbs
- Shop: Demco Autoslide 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch w/ Slider - Single Jaw - Above Bed - 18,000 lbs
- Shop: B&W Companion 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch w/ Slider - Dual Jaw - 20,000 lbs
- Video: B and W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch with Slider Installation - 2022 GMC Sierra 2500
- Shop: B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch w/ Slider for Ram Towing Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 20K
- Shop: B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch w Slider for Ford Towing Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 20K
- Article: Sidewinder with Rotating Turret for Short Bed Pickups
- Q&A: Do I Have to Have a Sliding 5th Wheel Hitch in a Short Bed Truck
- Shop: Trailer Hitch
- Q&A: Will the B&W Companion Fit Into OEM Pucks on a 2024 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
- Shop: Tonneau Cover
- Q&A: What Is An OEM Prep Package And How Do I Know If I Have It
- Video: Review of B and W Fifth Wheel - Fixed Fifth Wheel - BWRVK3775
- Article: 4 Steps to Choosing Your 5th Wheel Pin Box
- Article: Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapters
- Video: Manufacturer Review - Demco Autoslide 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch
- Shop: Camper Tie-Downs
- Article: Ram Trailer Tow Prep Package
- Article: Guide to Choosing the Best Truck for 5th-Wheel Towing
- Search Results: fifth wheel hitch
- Video: Curt 5th Wheel Hitch Adapter Rails Installation - 2024 GMC Sierra 2500
- Q&A: How Long is Pace Edwards Switchblade Tonneau Warranty
- Q&A: How to Determine Correct Height Setting for 5th Wheel Hitch