Trailer Wiring

change make

Select Vehicle Model

Trailer Wiring

Available Models for 2005 Chevrolet Trailer Wiring

Trailer Wiring Harness

Make installing your trailer wiring harness as easy as possible with a custom fit wiring harness. Trailer wiring from Draw-Tite, Curt, Pollak, Tow Ready, Bosal, and Hopkins eliminates or reduces the need to cut and splice wires. It also helps to protect your vehicle's sensitive electronics from mis-wired trailers.

Choose the year of your vehicle to the left to find a custom fit trailer wiring harness.

Wiring Adapter Fitguide

Trailer Connectors and Adapters

Wire and Wiring Accessories

Trailer Wiring Manufacturers

Accessories

2005 Chevrolet Questions and Answers

• Fuse Location to Power an Electric Trailer Brake Controller on a 2005 Chevy Silverado
  • The Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller with GM Wiring Harness, # 39510 and # 3015-P, itself does not have a fuse. Since it is connected to the truck via the factory port under the dash, the fuse for the brake controller 12 volt power is located in the power distribution box under the hood. We actually have an FAQ article that explains the installation of a brake controller Chevy and GMC trucks that includes your 2005 Silverado. It covers the connections that need to be made under the hood...
    view full answer...

• How to Make a 6-Way Square to 4-Way Flat Trailer Wiring Adapter
  • The 6-Way square trailer connector is not used by a lot of trailer manufacturers. A lot of Jayco trailers may have them but mostly you come across the 4-Way flat, like what you have on your trailer, and the 7-Way blade for RV applications. What I recommend is to convert the 6-Pole on the Monaco to a 4-Way. You can do this very easily by removing the 6-Way plug, and then testing the wires for function using a circuit tester like # 3808 if needed before installing them in a new 4-Way,...
    view full answer...

• Towing Mirror Options for 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Towing 30-Foot Trailer
  • The K-Source Custom Towing Mirrors for the 2005 Silverado that you referenced, part # KS62075-76G, are a correct fit for your truck. If the truck's current mirrors have built-in turn signals, electric adjustment and heat, then each of these functions will remain active with the K-Source towing mirrors installed. Please note you cannot add a new function through using a different mirror; the vehicle has to already have the wiring in place to support each of those functions. Please refer...
    view full answer...

• Transmission Cooler Recommendations for a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L
  • When it comes to installing an aftermarket transmission cooler you will want to choose the largest and highest rated transmission cooler that will fit on your 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L because transmission fluid cannot be over cooled. Aftermarket transmission coolers are supplemental coolers and are designed to be install in-line with your factory transmission coolers return line. Transmission coolers with fans like the Derale 16-Pass Electra-Cool Remote Transmission Cooler...
    view full answer...

• How To Wire Separate Turn Signals And Backup Lights On A Trailer With a 4-Flat Connector
  • To wire your trailer for separate turn signals you will need to use the Pollak 7-Pole Trailer Connector, part # PK12706, and the Tow Ready Vehicle to Vehicle Taillight Converter, part # 118158. You will replace the 4-flat on your trailer with the Pollak 7-Way connector. The wiring on your 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe with the 7-way connector will stay as the factory wiring. It will not need to be changed. I am including a picture of the 7-way trailer connector that will show the function...
    view full answer...

• Front Hitch and Snow Plow Recommendation for a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer
  • We have exactly what you need. First you will need to start with a front hitch. For that you would want the Curt Front Hitch part # 31055. Then for a plow you would want the Agri-Cover SnowSport HD Utility Snowplow # A40000HD. This would be a great plow that would work well for you and has several positive reviews from our customers who have bought it. Any qualified mechanic in your area should have no problem installing both of these products.
    view full answer...

• Which Missing Fuse in 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Will Power 12V Trailer Circuit to Charge Trailer Battery
  • Your 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe requires a 40-amp fuse be installed in the power distribution block under the hood. Please refer to the color photos in the linked article. These illustrate the location of the accessory fuse block in the engine compartment on the drivers-side. I have also provided a photo showing the location of the required 40-amp fuse (amber-colored in the photo). Installation of the fuse (and possibly a required wiring connection to the positive power post) will enable transfer...
    view full answer...

• Towing Capacity of 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4WD
  • On page 4-65 of the online owner's manual for the 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4WD the towing capacities for the two axle ratios are listed. If you have the 3.42 axle then the maximum trailer weight is 7100-lbs. If you have the 4.10 axle then the maximum trailer weight is listed as 8000-lbs. I suggest you review your own printed owner's manual to confirm your truck's towing capacity. Clearly your trailer's maximum gross vehicle weight (GVWR) of 8810-lbs exceeds that of the Avalanche...
    view full answer...

• Availability of 6 Inch Spacers for Firestone Airbags on a Truck with 6 Inch Lift
  • You would just need the 6 inch spacers, # F2374. Using 2 sets of the 3 inch spacers is not a good idea because the more components you add to the system the more points of weakness there are. Not that the spacers or system are weak but if you can avoid a potential issue it would be a good idea. Spacer # F2374 is for use on air bag systems that mount on leaf springs and # F2375 is for air bag systems that mount on axles.
    view full answer...

• Trailer Brakes do not Lock Up When Using Manual Override with Hopkins Agility Brake Controller
  • My recommendation for your situation would be to set up the brake controller as if it were new. The signal spike that you are seeing or split second hum that you are hearing when you press the brake pedal indicates that power is reaching the brakes, but since this is a proportional brake controller, the signal will not stay if the vehicle is not moving or decelerating. First, I recommend making sure the brakes on your trailer are adjusted properly since they are new. When adjusting...
    view full answer...

• Installing a Reese 14K Fifth Wheel Hitch on a 2005 Chevy Pickup
  • I have included a link to the installation instructions for the universal kit, # RP30035. Instructions for your 2006 Chevy Silverado start on page 5. We have a video that shows the installation process. Because you have a short bed pickup, please make sure your hitch has a slider on it. Otherwise, there will not be enough clearance at the front of your trailer, and the corners will impact your cab during sharp turns. If you don't already have a 7-way trailer connector installed in...
    view full answer...

• Wiring a Trailer Mounted Winch to a Trailer Battery and Vehicle Battery
  • I have just what you will need. I have linked an FAQ article that explains the various ways to wire a winch. You will need the second half of the page titled Option 2: Wiring the Winch to a Separate, Trailer-Mounted Battery. I have also included a picture that shows how it would all go together. You will need a battery isolator, # TR118665, some wire like # 10-1-1 or # 12-1-1 sold in 1 foot increments, and a 40 amp circuit breaker # PK54540. You will wire it all up like in the picture. Please...
    view full answer...

• How to Unstick a Stuck Ball in a Curt Quick Goose 2 Gooseneck Trailer Hitch
  • I have some solutions for you to try to get that troublesome Quick Goose, # C630-652, unstuck. I spoke with my contact at Curt and he said that usually the ball gets stuck down as opposed to up. What he suggested first is to go underneath the truck where the hitch is installed and clean and lubricate all of the moving parts of the hitch. Then, try to move the levers and other moving parts back and forth to get the ball to move. If you can free the ball, make sure to clean inside the...
    view full answer...

• Installing a Fifth Wheel Hitch on a 2005 Chevy Silverado
  • Assuming that you are using the RP50064-58 install kit from Reese the install involves to main components. First, the brackets. The brackets attach to the frame rail below the bed. The other main component, the rails, sit in the bed and bolt the brackets, through the bed, below. I have added a link to a video of this kit being installed on a 2008 GMC Sierra that will provide a much clearer visualization of how the kit is installed. I have also included a link to the instructions below...
    view full answer...

• Will the Draw-Tite Hi Rise 5th Wheel to Gooseneck Adapter Fit a Pop Up 228 Gooseneck Hitch
  • The Hi-Rise 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch # 9480-5W has only been tested with and confirmed for B&W Turnover Ball, Draw-Tite Hide-A-Goose, and Bulldog underbed gooseneck trailer hitches. I can't confirm whether or not it will fit your hitch but there is another option. No matter what brand the gooseneck is as long as it has a 2-5/16 inch ball you can use the Andersen Ranch Hitch # AM3100. I have linked a video review of it for you.
    view full answer...

• Trailer Brake Controller Wiring For a 2005 Chevy Suburban with Factory Tow Package
  • I have great news for you. There is a simple plug in adapter that you can use that will fit the Voyager brake controller on one end and a port on the vehicle on the other end. It is # 3015-P. I have included a link to a video showing a typical installation on a similar vehicle. The brake controller wiring functions are: White = Ground Red = Input from brake switch Blue = output to trailer to brakes Black = 12 volt power But since you have a simple plug in option, you will not...
    view full answer...

• Is Ultra-Fab Deluxe Electric Landing Gear Set # UF17-943010 Suitable for Heavy Equipment Gooseneck
  • The Ultra-Fab Deluxe Electric Landing Gear Set you referenced, part # UF17-943010, is suitable for use on both 5th wheel and goose neck trailers. This dual motor landing gear set has a combined capacity of 12,000-lbs so it will work fine on your goose neck as long as its fully-loaded pin weight does not exceed this 12K rating. Installation consists of welding on the hangers to the front of the trailer frame (below the overhang). You will want a certified welder to do this. Then you will...
    view full answer...

• Options for Towing Fifth Wheel Trailer w/ Flat Bed Truck and Recessed Gooseneck Ball
  • As long as the recessed area in the bed measures at least 12 x 12 inches or so, most of the adapters we offer would work just fine for you. The best practice is to use a fifth wheel hitch for a fifth wheel, but in your case that isn't practical. Many adapters can be rough on the fifth wheel's frame, and some frame warranties will even state that an adapter shouldn't be used for that very reason. The Reese Goosebox is an exception. Because it includes an air ride component that exerts...
    view full answer...

• How Long Does it Take to Install a 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch in a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500
  • We estimate that it will take about 6 hours to install a 5th wheel trailer hitch and installation kit in a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500. A lot depends on the installer's experience and skill. Once the installation kit is done putting the hitch in the rails will only take a couple of minutes. The reason that it takes so long is that the install kit included with Curt trailer hitch # C16636 is a universal kit which requires more drilling than a custom kit. You could use custom kit, # C16418-204,...
    view full answer...

• Is There a Difference Between the Curt and Draw-Tite Front Hitch for a 2005 Chevy Suburban
  • The Draw-Tite front mount hitch # 65028 and the Curt Front Hitch # 31108 are very similar, but they are not the same hitch. This was not intentional, the manufacturers just so happened to come up with very similar designs for the hitch coincidentally. Since both hitches are so similar and have the same capacities I would not be able to recommend one over the other as both would work very well for you. I attached installation instructions for both product for you to check out.
    view full answer...

• Where to Attach Safety Chains for Reese Goosebox
  • We offer safety chains specifically designed for use with the Goosebox, part # 49150. They connects to existing lugs on the underside of the Goosebox as shown in the photo I've provided for you.
    view full answer...

• Which Brake Controller Should I use on a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe with Factory Trailer Connector
  • The part you were looking at includes the harness for Ford vehicles. If you want to use the Hopkins Agility, the part number you would need is # HM47294 and # 47795. It has the plug-in harness for your 2005 Tahoe brake controller port. That port will only be active if your Tahoe came with a 7-Way trailer connector from the factory. I would strongly encourage you to get the Tekonsha Prodigy, part # 90185 and adapter part # 3015-P. It is our best selling brake controller and is one of...
    view full answer...

• Do Side Cameras Come On with Turn Signals on Rear View Safety Backup Camera System RVS-770616N
  • Yes, you can install the Rear View Safety Backup Camera System with Side Cameras Item # RVS-770616N to have the side cameras come on when a turn signal is engaged. There are instructions that explain different ways the cameras can be activated and this is one of the methods explained. It is the method I recommend too so you don't have to worry about manually turning on the cameras while driving.
    view full answer...

• Parts Needed to Install a Brake Controller on a Chevy Colorado
  • A plug-in brake controller wiring harness is not available for the 2005 Chevy Colorado. The vehicle requires a hardwire method to install a brake controller using a 4-Way trailer connector, if needed, # 118301, and a 4 and 7 Way Installation Kit, # ETBC7. If your truck already has a factory installed 7-Way, you will still need to do some hardwiring. You will need brake controller installation kit # 5506. With the included wire, you will connect the white wire in the install kit to the...
    view full answer...

• Can Tow Behind Trailer be Safely Converted to a Gooseneck for Improved Towing and Handling
  • Converting a pull behind trailer to a gooseneck would not be an easy task and would require a lot of fabrication, if it is even possible. Instead of looking into modifying the 32 ft tow behind RV trailer, I recommend that we take a look at your towing set-up. With the properly rated and adjusted system, there really is no reason that you can't have a comfortable towing experience with a pull behind trailer. The first place that I would start is with your sway control. Since your trailer...
    view full answer...

• Can Reese Fifth Wheel Bed Rails be Used with Curt Fifth Wheel Frame Brackets
  • We do not recommend mixing manufacturers when it comes to brackets and rails. Mixing a Curt fifth wheel into Reese rails does not pose a problem as that fit is pretty universal. Sometimes, brackets will not exactly line up with the rails and this can be a problem which is why we recommend keep the brackets and rails from the same manufacturer. If you want to use the Curt brackets, I would recommend using the Curt rails, part # C16204. If you want to use Reese rails, use bracket...
    view full answer...

• Does TracRac Roof Rack TA29056 Fit 2005 Chevy Express Van
  • Yes, the TracRac Van Rack part # TA29056 that you referenced is a confirmed fit for your 2005 Chevy Express Van. I attached an install video for more info on it for you to check out as well. I attached a review video for the # IMF104933 which fits the rack for you to check out as well.
    view full answer...

• Ball Hole Location When Installing a Draw-Tite Gooseneck Trailer Hitch on a 2005 Chevy Silverado
  • Normally, the center of the gooseneck ball will be directly above or slightly forward, within an inch or 2, of the center of the axle but it is possible that on some trucks it could be more forward. On the 2005 Chevy Silverado, the instructions, linked for you, state that the hole should be 44-1/2 inches from the rear of the bed on a short box, and 49-3/8 inches on a long box. The measurements are from the end of the bed, not the tailgate, to the center of the hole. If you measure on...
    view full answer...

• Brake Controller Recommendation for a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 with Factory Tow Package
  • If the trailer you plan to tow has electric brakes and you want them to work, you will need a brake controller for your 2005 Chevy Silverado. The wiring harness you found is possibly for a brake controller. If it is, it will plug into a port underneath the dash. To the left of the brake pedal in the corner under the dash is an electrical junction box with a black cover. Remove the cover. There should be an empty port on the top row, second from the left. Check the harness you found to...
    view full answer...

• How Bright is the Gustafson RV Pancake Light 277-000339
  • LED lights such as pancake light # 277-000339 are typically brighter than their incandescent counterparts. The light draws 3 watts which is comparable to a 30 watt fluorescent bulb so that should help you to determine if the LEDs will be brighter than what you have now.
    view full answer...

^
About Us
photos and videos

Original Photos & Videos

Produced to make sure you know what you are getting and you get exactly what you need.

installations

Installations Completed

To make sure products work and fit the way they are supposed to.

etrailer call center

Phone Calls & Emails Answered

1,125,924 phone calls and 1,350,587 emails to help find the right solution.

etrailer training
400+

Average Hours of Product Training

We get to know our products firsthand so experts can better help you.

etrailer service

Years of Quality Customer Service

Assisting our neighbors and customers, face to face at the counter.

etrailer experts

Pages of Expert Information

Created to make sure you have all the answers to your questions, from real experts.