Trailer Wiring

change make

Select Vehicle Model

Trailer Wiring

Available Models for 1998 Ford Trailer Wiring

Trailer Wiring Harness

Make installing your trailer wiring harness as easy as possible with a custom fit wiring harness. Trailer wiring from Draw-Tite, Curt, Pollak, Tow Ready, Bosal, and Hopkins eliminates or reduces the need to cut and splice wires. It also helps to protect your vehicle's sensitive electronics from mis-wired trailers.

Choose the year of your vehicle to the left to find a custom fit trailer wiring harness.

Wiring Adapter Fitguide

Trailer Connectors and Adapters

Wire and Wiring Accessories

Trailer Wiring Manufacturers

Accessories

1998 Ford Questions and Answers

• Maximum Weight of Trailer That a 1998 Ford F150 Can Tow
  • The best way to determine the maximum weight of the trailer you can safely tow is to subtract the weight of the fully loaded vehicle (curb weight plus weight of all cargo, driver and passengers) from the 12,500 GCVW. The figure you end up with will represent the maximum trailer weight you can safely tow. You would also need to check the capacity of your hitch, which might be different from the capacity of the truck itself. The trailer you tow cannot weigh any more that the capacity of the...
    view full answer...

• Should I Use 2-Wheel Drive or 4-Wheel Drive While Towing in the Mountains
  • You should not tow your trailer on dry pavement with the vehicle in 4-wheel drive. For normal towing you should always use 2-wheel drive. The exceptions to this are extreme conditions such as snow covered or muddy roads that would normally require 4 wheel drive. Just remember that if you would use 4-wheel drive without the trailer then you should use it with the trailer. In the mountains, if you are descending on a 4-wheel drive trail then 4-wheel drive low would be recommended to save...
    view full answer...

• Location of Trailer Wiring Harness Plug on a 1998 Ford Explorer With Factory Tow Package
  • It sounds as if the connection you found is one that is located on the opposite side of the vehicle. If your 1998 model Explorer has the factory tow package installed the correct connector for the trailer wiring harness, # 118421, is sometimes on the drivers side or the passengers side. There is a very similar connector that the harness will not plug into on the opposite side in most every case. Go to the other side and locate the connector there and I am confident your wiring harness...
    view full answer...

• Locating a the Brake Output Wire to Install a Brake Controller on a Motor Home
  • It could be possible that the blue brake wire on your motor home is a different color. Blue is the typical color of the brake output wire, but I know that cab and chassis models can be set up many different ways. It may also be an issue of needing to add fuses and/or relays to activate the trailer brake and power circuits. Your fuse box and owners manual should have a legend that lists each fuse and relay position. Make sure there are no missing fuses or relays that could prevent power...
    view full answer...

• Installing 7-Way Trailer Connector on 1998 Ford Explorer to Power Interior Trailer Lights
  • You can certainly add a 7-way connector to your Explorer. Assuming that your Explorer has the tow package, you can begin with the # 118241 4-pole harness that you referenced. If you do NOT have the tow package, you will need to use # 118345. Then, install the # 37185 4-pole to 7-way adapter. The adapter will plug into the 4-pole provided by the # 118241, leaving some remaining wires that might need to be connected. The white wire needs to be grounded to the vehicle frame, and the...
    view full answer...

• How to Measure Width and Bolt Pattern on a Trailer Wheel
  • To measure the width of a trailer wheel you will measure from where the tire beads will seat on the wheel. That will be from the inside of the inner wheel flange to the inside of the outer wheel flange, not from edge to edge of the wheel. To measure the bolt pattern on a wheel with an even amount of lugs ( 4-lug, 6-lug, 8-lug ) you will measure from the center of two bolt holes directly across from each other. If the wheel is a 5-lug wheel you will measure from the center of one hole...
    view full answer...

• How to Wire Deka # DW08771 Battery Isolator
  • I've found a wiring diagram for the # DW08771 Battery Isolator. Terminal 1 would connect to the positive battery terminal of the main battery. The original wire from the alternator to the main battery would be removed from the battery and installed on terminal 1. Terminal E would connect to the an ignition circuit that's hot only when the key is switched on via a 6 amp breaker. Terminal A would connect to the battery lead on the alternator and Terminal 2 would connect to the positive terminal...
    view full answer...

• Tow Package Fuse Locations for a 1998 Ford Expedition
  • I pulled up a picture of a fuse box of a 1998 Ford Expedition and it looks like position 1 is the trailer tow running lamp relay and back up light relay. Position 16 is trailer battery charge circuit. Position 28 is brake controller relay. Aside from that you would want to check all towing related fuses using the diagram on the fuse box lid.
    view full answer...

• How Does the Tow Strap Cinch Bone BC-902 Fit on a Strap
  • There is more than 1 way to use the Cinch Bone, # BC-902, with a recovery strap. But, you are correct, the strap does not go through the center slot of the Cinch Bone. There is a retention cable that comes with the bone that does go through the slot. The recommended method is to first loop the strap through the clevis hook or tie down point and push some of the slack of the long end of the strap through the looped strap end. You will form a loop with the strap you passed through the...
    view full answer...

• Troubleshooting Trailer Running Lights Not Working on a Trailer Towed by a 1998 Ford F-150
  • It is possible that there is a fuse or relay that needs to be inserted on the truck to allow the running lights to function. You will need to consult the owners manual to find the location of the tow package fuses/relays in the power distribution box to see if any are missing or need to be replaced. The Ford Replacement OEM Tow Package Wiring Harness, # 118242, comes with fuses and relays for reverse lights, battery charge (12 volt power), and electric brakes but not the running lights....
    view full answer...

• 1998 Ford Explorer or Expedition Trailer Wiring Not Working
  • I would start out by testing the vehicle wiring connector. Disconnect the trailer and use a circuit tester, like part # 3808, to test the 4 way wiring on the Explorer or Expedition. You should see an exposed male connection point that is the ground circuit. Next to the exposed terminal there is a female connection that is the taillight circuit. Next to that is the left turn and brake circuit. Finally on the far side is the right turn and brake circuit. If all of the circuits are working...
    view full answer...

• Installation of Brake Controller on 1998 Ford Expedition
  • The correct Brake Controller Wiring Adapter for your 1998 Expedition would be part # 3035-P. If your Expedition has the factory equipped 7-way trailer connector as most do, once the controller is plugged into the connector located under the dash, typically next to the OBD connector, the controller should be fully operational and ready to go. If your Expedition has the 4-pole connector, you can adapt the existing trailer connector with the # 37185 adapter. The adapter would plug into...
    view full answer...

• Dimensions and Recommendations for a 5th Wheel Trailer to Gooseneck Hitch Adapter
  • At the absolute most narrow point the adapter is about 9-1/2 inches in circumference and about 3-1/2 inches in diameter. The overall height at 16 inches is actually about 17-1/2 inches from the bottom of the adapter to the top where it attaches to the trailer. To find the correct height you will need, first park the truck and trailer on level ground. Make sure you have 4 inches of clearance between the top of the bed sides and the bottom of the trailer loft for pitch and roll. Then,...
    view full answer...

• Wiring a 7-Way Trailer Connector and Brake Controller on a 1998 Ford Expedition
  • There are three different ways a brake controller is installed on your Expedition. If your vehicle has a factory 7-Way then all that is needed is a Universal Brake Control Wiring Adapter for Ford, item # 3035-P, or a Ford adapter for the specific brake controller you select (see link). If you have a factory installed 4-Way connector then you will need the above mentioned items and a Adapter 4 Pole to 7 Pole and 4 Pole, item # 37185, to install the brake controller on your vehicle. The...
    view full answer...

• Recommendation of Weight Distribution System for 4500 lb Boat /Trailer With Surge Coupler
  • Using a standard weight distribution system that utilizes the snap up brackets and chains is not a good idea on trailers with surge couplers. The tension on the chains would interfere with the operation of the coupler. I would recommend the Reese SC High Performance Weight Distribution System, part # RP66151. This system features integrated sway control, and is the only type of weight distribution system recommended for use on trailers with a surge coupler. The spring bar brackets clamp...
    view full answer...

• Trailer Hitch Ball Recommendation for a Bumper Hitch on a 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
  • I would need to know the hole diameter in the bumper of your 1998 Ford Explorer. If it is smaller than the 1 inch shank on ball # 63845, the next size down would be a shank with a 3/4 inch diameter, # TR63822, rated for 3,500 pounds. Down from 3/4 inch we have a 5/8 inch diameter shank, # CB-20Z, which you normally see on lawn mowers and other small equipment so it is highly unlikely it will fit. The best way to measure the opening on the bumper would be to use a sett of dial calipers...
    view full answer...

• Towing Mirrors for 1998 Ford F150
  • The 1998 was available with at least three different types of mirrors, to match the existing mirror with an available slip-on mirror, take a look at the photo we edited for you. Part # 11953is sold individually, and will fit either the driver or passenger side. Part # 11601 fits the driver side, and # 11602 fits the passenger. Part # 11701 fits the driver side, and # 11702 fits the passenger.
    view full answer...

• Is an LED Light Brighter than the Same Size Incandescent Light
  • The LED lights, # P233156W360, will be brighter than a comparable incandescent bulb producing 240 Lumens). LED lights are brighter in general but since the light is more focused in general it will have a higher Lumen output. The reason is that the same size incandescent bulb puts out light in all directions and is then focused with a lens or reflector behind the bulb.
    view full answer...

• Trailer Hitch and Wiring Recommendations for a 1998 Ford Ranger Flareside
  • Reese and Draw-Tite are the same. Same parent company, design, everything but the sticker. I recommend Draw-Tite trailer hitch # 75082 for your 1998 Ford Ranger Flareside. This hitch was designed for vehicles with the factory installed step bumper. I have linked a video showing an example installation for you. If you plan on doing some towing I recommend etrailer ball mount kit # 989900. It comes with 2 ball mounts; one with a 3/4 inch rise or 2 inch drop and one with a 2-3/4 inch rise...
    view full answer...

• Recommended Hitch For 1998 Ford E-350 Club Wagon
  • For your 1998 Ford E-350 Club Wagon I recommend the Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch, part # 41906. This is a Class lV hitch with a 2 inch receiver opening. When installing the # 41906, the spare tire will need to be lowered for access to the frame and underside of the vehicle, but is reinstalled after the hitch has been installed. You can check out the attached video that shows how this hitch is installed on a 1995 E-350. We do not offer a Class V hitch that is designed to fit your E-350. This...
    view full answer...

• How to Add Brakes to a Shorelander Boat Trailer
  • You gave me a lot of info on your trailer, but what I really need first is the dimensions of the spindle on your trailer so that we can determine what hub/drums you would need. You also will need to know if you have brake mounting flanges on your current spindles as well. I attached a help article that will walk you through the entire process of adding brakes to your trailer as well. I wasn't sure if you planned to add disc or drum brakes so I attached articles for both. In order to...
    view full answer...

• Installing Trailer Wiring Harness for a 1998 Ford Windstar
  • The wiring harness for your 1998 Ford Windstar is a plug and play harness, part # C55346. It plugs into your tail light assemblies. I have also included a link to the instructions for installing it on your vehicle. The 4 pole round connector you were looking at, part # PK11409, can be used instead of the standard flat connectors. The part you were looking at was the trailer end connector. The vehicle end is part # PK11410. You would cut off the flat connector of the wiring harness mentioned...
    view full answer...

• Replacement Cradle for Rhode Gear Shuttle Bike Rack
  • The correct replacement cradles for your Rhode Gear Shuttle Rack is # RG8890084. Rhode Gear was bought out by Yakima, and some of the old Rhode Gear products are still available like this one. The Thule Cradle # 853-7887 that you referenced, may work, but, it may also be too long to install over any curves in the bike rack arm. In the picture, you can see that the Thule cradle, which has a 1 inch diameter and a 2-5/8 inch width. The Rhode Gear cradle has a 1 inch diameter and 2-1/8...
    view full answer...

• Trailer Winch Recommendations for Pulling a 2500 Pound Tractor on to a Trailer
  • The Hand winch you selected, Dutton-Lainson Brake Winch # DL15721, would be a great choice as long as your 2,500 lb tractor will always be a rolling load, and the angle of the ramps on the trailer will not be too steep. This winch can use the 20 foot strap, # DL24251, or the 25 foot cable, # DL24102, If you need to move the tractor when not rolling, flat tire or some other mishap, I recommend using a winch with at least 5,000 lb capacity. A winch like this is only available in an electric...
    view full answer...

• Choosing Replacement Trailer Roof Vent for 1972 Road Ranger Camper
  • You don't have to worry about sizing your replacement vents. Most square trailer roof vents like the Ventline # V2092SP-25 are designed to fit a standardized 14-1/4 x 14-1/4-inch rough roof opening as found on the majority of trailers and campers. Since you measured 14 x 14-inches on the inside we know that your rough opening is going to match this 14-1/4-inch square size. The linked page will show you all complete 14 x 14 vent assemblies that will fit your camper. You can choose between...
    view full answer...

• Will the Curt Front Mount Hitch # 31049 Install on a 1998 Ford F-150 2WD Extended Cab
  • I spoke with my contact at Curt and he told me you can install the Curt Front Mount Hitch, # 31049, on your 1998 Ford F-150 2WD as long as the frame of your truck matches the width of the bolt holes on the hitch. The frame width should be the same between the 2WD and 4WD models, but I would recommend measuring just to verify. The bolt holes that mount to the underside of the frame rail measure 31-7/8 in. from center to center. If your frame rails approximately 31-7/8 in. apart on center,...
    view full answer...

• Oil & Transmission Coolers for Ford F-53-Based Class A RV
  • Based on my research the 1998 Fleetwood Bounder M-36S Class A RV with the Ford 460 engine is based on the Ford F-53 chassis. Coolers are not vehicle-speciofic; you can install as large a cooler as you have space to mount one. Coolers are also not fluid specific; the same cooler model can be used for engine oil and for transmission fluid or even power steering fluid. Derale Class III cooler # D15551 includes a spin-on adapter in the required 3/4-16 thread. This will be a good choice...
    view full answer...

• Spare Tire Carrier for a Front Mounted Trailer Hitch
  • Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier # RM-195225 is going to be much taller than the carrier you have now, # 6715. I don't have an exact number but where the top of your spare tire is now is roughly where the center of it would be if using carrier # RM-195225. One option is to use a different version of what you have now, # C31006. The difference is that this carrier has 3 hitch pin holes allowing you to adjust how close the spare is to the vehicle. I have included a link to a...
    view full answer...

• Front Mount Trailer Hitch for a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain Class A Motor Home
  • If your Class A motor home is built on the Ford full size van E-350 or 450 chassis then you can install front mount receiver # 65001 that you have referenced. I have included a link to the installation instructions for you to view. If it was built on the Ford F-53 chassis then there are no custom fit front mount receivers available and you would need to have one custom fabricated by a qualified professional with knowledge of this type of custom project. We have some hitch fabrication...
    view full answer...

• Tire Chain Recommendation for Tire Size 215/70R15
  • Yes, the Titan Chain Cable Snow Tire Chains # TC1038 that you referenced have been confirmed as a fit for your 215/70R15 tire size. You will need to consult the owners manual of your 1998 Ford Windstar to see if there are any restrictions on snow chain usage.
    view full answer...

^
About Us
photos and videos

Original Photos & Videos

Produced to make sure you know what you are getting and you get exactly what you need.

installations

Installations Completed

To make sure products work and fit the way they are supposed to.

etrailer call center

Phone Calls & Emails Answered

1,125,924 phone calls and 1,350,587 emails to help find the right solution.

etrailer training
400+

Average Hours of Product Training

We get to know our products firsthand so experts can better help you.

etrailer service

Years of Quality Customer Service

Assisting our neighbors and customers, face to face at the counter.

etrailer experts

Pages of Expert Information

Created to make sure you have all the answers to your questions, from real experts.