bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Can the Follow-Leg Be Replaced On an Atwood Landing Gear Set


2004 Holiday Rambler Presidential 5th wheel, 17,000 Lb. GVW - 36 foot - 4 slides Old landing gear is Atwood. Screw is seized which caused pin to shear in top gear. The follow leg is to be replaced. From all illustrations on-line, all of the replacement jacks have a square gear case cover on the upper gears, whereas my Atwood jack has a crowned galvanized gear case cover which has an Atwood part number of 71145 standard or 71416 Heavy or Super. I can not locate on-line a follow leg with a crowned galvanized gear case cover. Which follow leg should I order? The lead leg operates fine. An early reply would be greatly appreciated as I plan on doing the removal/ordering today. Thanks


Expert Reply:

I would love to be able to give you a replacement follow leg for your landing gear set but sadly it's not going to be that simple. The issue is that Atwood has gone out of business and the products they offered while in business did not always follow the industry standard so I would really have no way of making sure you get a compatible follow-leg that's to say there is even one available which is really anyone's guess. I hate to say it but the solution for you and all of our many other customers who find themselves in this same situation is to replace the entire set which may sound like a headache but will be easier in the long run.

I recommend the Landing Gear Set part # RVLG-8HDL which is a very cost effective replacement option. If your weld stops don't match that of those on the above (15-1/2" bottom to bottom) then you will also need Replacement Weld-On 5th Wheel Landing Gear Leg Brackets part # LC113511 (4).

expert reply by:
Conner L

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>