How to Choose the Correct Size Trailer Winch For a Boat Trailer
I HAVE A 27 PONTOON TRACKER THE WINCH THAT CAN WITH IT BROKE, I FELT IT WAS CHEAP AND NOT FOR THE WEIGHT OF BOAT,I PULL IT WITH A 2004 CHEV Z71 TAHOE. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT SIZE WINCH I NEED. THANKS
asked by: DARLENE G
The size winch that you will need depends on a couple of different factors. I have included part of our hand winch FAQ below regarding boat winches and have linked the FAQ article for you to view.
Finding the Right Capacity Winch for your Boat Trailer
Boat-size-to-winch capacity is generally 2 to 1
With good rollers and short winching distances, increase the ratio to 3 to 1
With wooden bunks and long winching distances, reduce the ratio to 1 to 1
For example, a 2,200-lb boat generally requires a 1,100-lb winch. If the same boat were winched a short distance with a low incline and with rollers in good condition, it can be safely winched with a 900-lb winch. The boat requires a winch with a 2,200-lb capacity if you are winching a longer distance with more resistance; for example, if the trailer had carpeted, wooden bunks or was set on a steeper incline.
So based on the above information, the Fulton XLT Winch, # F142425, could potentially handle a boat that weighs 9,600 pounds at a 3 to 1 ratio. But is probably safer to say that it can handle a boat that weighs between 3,200 pounds and 6,400 pounds.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- What are the Mounting Plate Measurements for the Fulton F142425?
- Picking Out Fulton XLT Winch for 5,500 lb Boat
- Determining The Correct Capacity Winch For A 10,000lb Boat
- Recommended Winch for 6,000 Pound Boat on Trailer with Wooden Bunks
- Recommended Winch for Loading a 2,300-lb Boat
- Will Fulton XLT Winch F142425 Fit Same Mount as Fulton F2 Winch
- Availability of Shorter Replacement Handle for Fulton F142425 XLT Hand Winch
- Two-Speed Trailer Winch for a 6,400 Pound Cabin Cruiser Boat
- Is a 1500 Pound Winch Strong Enough for a 22-1/2 Foot Boat
- Recommended Weather Cover for Fulton XLT Hand Winch
- Recommendation for a Winch to Pull 34 Foot Suntracker Party Barge With Enclosed Cabin
- Recommended Winch for 4,500 lb - 5,000 lb Boat Being Winched a Short Distance
- Mounting Hardward Included With Fulton XLT Winch
- Faster Hand Winch Recommendation for Boat Trailer
- Size and Grade of Bolts Needed to Install Fulton XLT Winch
- Troubleshooting Bow Stop on Boat Trailer that Makes Winching it Last Few Inches Difficult
- Can a Ratcheting Handle Be Added To a Fulton XLT 2-Speed Trailer Winch
- Recommended Trailer Winch for a 29 Foot Sea Ray SLX with Twin 350s on a Triple Axle Trailer
- Solution for Attempting to Install Fulton XLT Winch on Trailer Where Mounting Plate Doesnt Match Up
- Does The Fulton XLT Trailer Winch Have An Automatic Brake
- Recommended Battery Box for Mounting on Boat Trailer Near Fulton 10.0 Power Winch
- Fulton F2 Winch Compatibility With Winch Stand On Boat Trailer
- Will Fulton XLT Trailer Winch # F142425 Fit Mounting Plate on EZ-Loader Trailer
- Determining Which Winch Works Best For Loading Crownline 235SS Weighing 5000lbs
- Do the Fulton XLT Winches have a Neutral Mode that Doesnt Let the Handle Spin when Free-wheeling
- How to Determine if Winch is Strong Enough for a 1995 Maxum 2000 SR2
- 2-Speed Hand Winch That Takes 25-Foot Strap
- Is Mounting Bolt Pattern of Fulton F2 Winch the Same as XLT