Parts Needed to Convert From Hydraulic Surge Brakes to Electric Over Hydraulic Brakes


I have a 2005 Karavan B-5000-SB-78-WH boat trailer and I was wondering what I would need to change from surge braking to EOH breaking with my current drum brake set up? Would I need to change to disks breaks for this to work? Boat and trailer weigh 6,000 lbs 6500 fully loaded


Expert Reply:

You won't need to replace your trailer's drums or brakes unless they need replacing anyway. You can keep drum brakes with an electric over hydraulic system.

What you will need is an EOH actuator, a breakaway kit, and an electric brake controller.

On a 6,500 pound boat trailer I recommend the HydraStar Marine EOH Actuator # HS381-9065. It's for trailers up to 7,000 pounds and is designed specifically for boat trailers. It also includes wiring and mounting hardware for the install. The breakaway kit is also included.

To power the actuator you'll need an electric brake controller, if your truck doesn't already have one. If the truck does have one make sure it's compatible with EOH actuators because many aren't. I recommend using the Prodigy P3 # 90195. There may be a wiring adapter to install the P3 depending on the year, make, and model of your truck. If you can provide me with this and what type of trailer connector the vehicle has, I'll see if one is available.

I've attached an article on converting to electric over hydraulic brakes you might find helpful.

expert reply by:
Charles S

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Follow up Questions

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>