bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

What Does a Trailer Tire Load Range Mean


In load ranger, whats mean D, E or other letters. Thanks a lot.


Expert Reply:

I believe you mean Load Range since the Load Ranger was the unsuccessful brother of the Lone Ranger.

For any given tire size there can be different load ranges. The different load ranges have different weight capacities. This has to do with the number of plies and/or ply rating of the tire. The more plies in the tire construction or the higher ply rating the higher the capacity is.

Keep in mind that going to a higher capacity tire does not increase the capacity of the trailer.

If we are looking at ST225/75-15 tires as an example, the C load range is rated for 2,150 pounds at 50 psi. The D load range is rated for 2,540 pounds at 65 psi. And the E load range is rated for 2,830 pounds at 80 psi.

If you had a single axle trailer with a gross weight rating of 5,000 pounds, you would use the D or E tires in this size since the C tires would be under rated for the weight. I have included a link to our help article on trailer tires for you as well.

expert reply by:

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Follow up Questions

Andy G.

I would like to ask a question about my tires on my cargo trailer.i have a double axle trailer it has 3500 leave spring axles. I have ST205x75xR15. I have a rzr I haul in it about 500 miles from where I live. My question is what would be a good reliable and dependable tire I could get that would be weight appropriate. I don’t understand the C, D, E load range stuff. Thanks for all you help

Etrailer Expert
Reply from Chris R.

The letter designations for load range just indicate their capacity. For your application I highly recommend the Goodyear Endurance # 724861519 . This is really the perfect highway tire - it features more than enough capacity for your loaded trailer, uses automotive-grade tread for better traction, and has a really high speed rating of 87 mph. The Endurance line is the only radial ply trailer tire made in the USA.

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>