bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

What is Meant by the Different Classes of Transmission Coolers


what is the difference on the class trans coolers. which is the best, i. ii,,iii,,ect.


Expert Reply:

Transmission and oil coolers are given class designations since we are in the towing business and those who tow are used to seeing class designations on hitches, ball mounts, etc. The idea is to give a general idea of the cooler's capacity, so if your vehicle has a class III hitch then a class III cooler should be fine.

However, since coolers are NOT vehicle-specific you can use as large a cooler as you have space to mount it. There are various types of coolers and they can be either passive (relying on air flow as you drive) or fan-powered (which allows for more placement options since they do not rely on air flow). There are also combination coolers with dual cores that can cool oil and tranny fluids at once. The two linked articles will give you good background on the options.

A good starting point is to check within your engine compartment to determine the size cooler than will fit. The best location is in front of the A/C condenser. As an example, we offer the Derale # D13502 that measures 11 x 7-1/4-inches. You can use this kit in your truck along with the Radiator Adapter Fitting # D13035. I have linked you to a video showing tranny cooler installation in an Avalanche.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>