Weight Distribution System to Reduce Rear Sag in 2012 Chevy Suburban Towing Camper


I have the Ras system already. But I still have a little bit of sag when hauling my camper. Could I also add the Timren jounce Springs? And use the two systems together?


Expert Reply:

If you already have the Roadmaster Active Suspension system # RAS4611 installed in your 2012 Suburban and you still have rear sag when your camper is hitched I recommend using a weight distribution/sway control (WD/SC) system if you do not already have one. You could add Timbrens but WD is a better option.

Weight distribution will do more to level the Suburban and eliminate the rear sag than adding a set of Timbren jounce springs since WD/SC systems actually shift trailer tongue weight forward to the vehicle's front axle, whereas jounce springs just stiffen the rear suspension without moving any trailer tongue weight forward. For your application you'll get better results using WD than by adding Timbrens since you'll also get sway control too.

The key to selecting the right system is knowing the actual tongue weight (TW) of your loaded trailer setup. We offer a handy scale # 5780 that makes it easy to measure the trailer TW. To this you need to add the weight of any cargo in the vehicle that sits behind the rear axle, such as a generator. Once you know this total combined weight figure you can select a system so that your total weight falls into the middle of its operating range. You can check out the included article and video for more details.

You want to choose a system that is rated such that your total weight figure falls near the middle of its operating range. For example, Equal-I-zer system # EQ37101ET works effectively over a TW range from 600- to 1000-lbs, so it would be ideal if your total TW were 700- to 900-lbs. This system lets you select the shank that gives you the right amount of rise or drop to keep your hitches trailer level. For instance, shank # EQ90-02-4300 allows a height range from 6-inches of drop to 10-inches of rise. You can use any brand of shank that has the appropriate rise or drop since these parts are standardized.

If you care to tell me the total TW of your setup I will be happy to recommend a suitable system.

expert reply by:
Adam R

Ask The Experts a Question >>

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>