bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Parts Needed to Flat Tow 2011 Chevy HHR


I need to flat tow my 2011 Chevy HHR. What parts will this require?


Expert Reply:

In order to flat tow your 2011 Chevy HHR there are a number of parts you need, starting with compatible base plates. I recommend the Roadmaster XL Base Plate Kit # 3141-1, though please keep in mind there are no base plates compatible with the SS model of your vehicle. For a tow bar I recommend going with the Roadmaster Sterling # RM-576 because of how easy the tow bar is to connect to the base plates due to its long telescoping arms as well as its included EZ Hook safety cables. To keep your Sterling tow bar clean and allow it to always function as needed it is a very good idea to use the Roadmaster Tow Bar Cover # RM-055-3.

For a wiring kit that will allow your Chevy's lights to function while being towed I recommend the Roadmaster Diode Kit, # RM-152. Since fuses are going to need to be pulled for you to flat tow your HHR I strongly recommend using the FuseMaster Fuse Bypass # RM76511 so you do not have to continually remove the fuse each time you want to tow your Chevy; with the bypass installed you will only have to flip a switch so the fuse will be inactive.

A supplemental braking system is a requirement in most states and I highly recommend the SMI Stay-IN-Play # SM99251 for this. This is a proportional braking system which is a one-time install which you can leave in so you'll never have to deactivate or reactivate it. You will need to use Charge Line Kit # RM-156-25 as well as Roadmaster Stop Light Switch Kit # RM-751428 along with your supplemental braking system; this kit activates your RV's monitoring system to alert you when your HHR's brakes are being applied.

Finally, it is likely you will need a high-low adapter such as # RM-076 to keep your tow bar level with your tow vehicle. The adapter you need is going to depend on some measurements you'll need to take. I have added a link to a help article on high-low adapters which explains the measurements you'll need, as well as a link to our page with our selection of adapters.

expert reply by:
Kyle S

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>