Does Trailer Require a 2 inch or 2-5/16 inch Hitch Ball for Coupler


Hello, I recently bought a 2007 Rockwood Ultra Lite travel trailer model 2304. I was looking at purchasing a Husky Center Line Weight Distribution w/ Sway Control - Trunnion - 8,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TWinch which I found on your website. I see that it only comes in a 2 5/16inch ball size. So I contacted Forest River about my trailer since my owners manual says it comes with a 2 5/16inch ball on all of their trailers they verified that yes it should be a 2 5/16inch ball. I then borrowed a friends 2 5/16inch ball and it will not fit inside of the space on the trailer it seems like it is to large. I have a 2inch ball which seems to fit nicely. So now Im not sure exactly what size ball to look for. Forest River is telling me it should be a 2 5/16inch ball but when I try that sized ball it will not fit. If you have any tips or anything I would appreciate it since Im ready to buy this weight distribution hitch now but I dont want to buy it then realize that it isnt going to work due to the ball size. Thanks


Expert Reply:

On the coupler typically you will see the size hitch ball it is designed to fit stamped or printed. It is possible that somebody removed he original coupler that was on your trailer and replaced it with one that has a 2 inch ball. Especially considering that your trailer is around 10 years old.

If you are absolutely sure you had the latch open on the coupler when you tried to insert the 2-5/16 inch ball and it wasn't fitting past the lip of the coupler then it would seem that you do have a 2 inch ball coupler. If you latched the coupler after installing the 2 inch ball and it fit snugly in the coupler then it is very likely you need a 2 inch ball.

For a similar system that is rated the same that does not include a hitch ball you would want the part # RP66541. With this you can then use a 2 inch ball # A-90.

expert reply by:
Jameson C

Ask The Experts a Question >>

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>