bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

What Brake Controller Can be Used with Roadmaster Tow Dolly # RM-2000-1 on 2001 Fleetwood Motorhome


What brake controller can I use to control the electric brakes on a Master Tow dolly? This dolly is to be used on 2001 Fleetwood Southwind motorhome with the Ford V10 gas engine. Thanks,


Expert Reply:

The Roadmaster Tow Dolly with Electric Brakes, part # RM-2050-1, can be used with any of a number of trailer brake controllers.

We generally recommend a proportional type controller as these give the smoothest and quickest braking while also providing the least amount of wear on both the vehicle and trailer brakes. The linked article covers much background information about the various types of brake controllers and the advantages of each. One of the most popular and reliable units we offer is the P2 from Tekonsha, part # 90885.

Many tow vehicles are equipped with an under-dash port to allow quick connection of a brake controller with a plug-and-play harness. I checked with Fleetwood RV and their technician advised that your 2001 Southwind with Ford V10 gas engine does not have such a port, so your brake controller application will be a hard-wire install.

You will need in addition to the controller of your choice a brake controller installation kit, part # ETBC7. This includes the components needed to install the controller and wire it to the included 7-way connector. Since your Southwind is about 12 years old I recommend that you replace the 7-way on the motor home with the new one included in the install kit; this will avoid any potential issue from corrosion that can be common when connectors are exposed to the elements. The ETBC7 includes 25 feet of duplex wire but you will likely need more; we offer this by the foot as part # 10-2-1.

I have linked a sample brake controller installation video to help illustrate the general process.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>