bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

RV 50Amp to 110v Home Power Adapter and Extension Cord Recommendation


Hi first of all you guys and the website are awesome and love all your products and in most cases I know what I want and just order. But would like to confirm something if you not mind. I want to park the fifth wheel RV and use a 50 amp to 110 outlet on the house. It is a distance away and so would like to use an extension cord!! I plan on using a 12 gauge extension 110 cord and the 50 amp to 110 adapter you show,50 amp female, and 110 male. I know should not use extension cord right ? But only want to leave battery switch on to charge the batteries 2 AGM and once in a while put the steps down , put a slide out so can check on it ever so often, would I be ok doing this in your opinion. No need to run AC, fireplace, just want the batteries up in case need to hook up using the landing gear and so forth Thanks for your advice and expert information in advance 2017 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4


Expert Reply:

If I'm understanding you correctly, you'll be able to use your standard outlet at your home using an adapter like the Mighty Cord # A10-1550 , but you won't be able to use a standard extension cord . Using a household extension cord with an improperly small wire gauge can damage the cord and/or your RV's electrical system.
Instead, there are a variety of extension cords available that are designed for RV use. 30-amp RV extension cords typically feature 10-gauge wire, and 50-amp cords usually feature 6-gauge hot and neutral wires with an 8-gauge ground.

Because of this, depending on the length of extension you need, I recommend using the Mighty Cord # A10-5050E (50ft) or # A10-5025EH (25ft). I've also linked all of our 50 amp RV extension cords to this answer. This solution is going to allow you to not only keep your batteries charged, but use the steps and slides as well.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>