bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Surge Protector When Using Adapter to Connect 50 Amp Camper to 30 Amp Service


My husband and I are looking at getting a 50 amp camper and trying to prepare to have everything we need. We were told some campsites May only have 30 amp plugins so we would need a 30 amp converter. Would that mean we need to buy a 50 AND 30 amp surge protector? Is this a problem we will run into often with campgrounds only having 30 amps? This is our first camper so we are trying to learn as much as possible before purchasing! Thanks so much!


Expert Reply:

In order to plug a 50 amp camper into a 30 amp hookup at a campsite you will indeed need an adapter, for which the Mighty Cord # A10-3050FHVP will work perfectly. With this particular setup you would still want to use a 50 amp surge protector like # CAM55313 for one time surge protection or # CAM55306 that will automatically reset and can be used again and again.

Since your camper is rated for 50 amps you just have to protect against surges over this, so you wouldn't need to lower the surge protector rating to match the campsite hookup.

Just keep in mind when hooking up to 30 amp power you may not be able to run all of your larger appliances since you will be getting a bit less power than normal. Most campgrounds provide both 30-amp and 50-amp outlets but there are certainly those that only provide 30-amp hookups. Your best bet will be to simply have an adapter like this on hand for when it's needed.

expert reply by:
Chris R

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>