bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Ways to Convert Trailer to LED Type Lighting


i want to change out the taillights on my 2017 RV from combined turn/stop/running/flasher incandescent tail light to a LED tailight with separate amber for turn/flasher, red for tail/stop light and reverse light. what do i need to do?


Expert Reply:

You can convert your RV to separate turn signals and/or LED operation in a couple of ways, depending on how much wiring modification you care to do.

Any of your existing lights can be converted to LED operation by swapping out the incandescent bulbs for LED-type replacement elements. We have LED equivalents that are drop-in replacements for many popular standard bulbs. All appear on the linked page and can be selected by bulb number, such as the popular 194 type bulb # A194B that can be replaced with LED kits # ARC68FR (white), # ARC78FR (amber), and # ARC88FR (red). Which are brighter, use less power and create less waste heat.

If you prefer to replace entire fixtures you can refer to the linked page for complete LED trailer lights of all types, including clearance lights like # AL91AB, stop/tail/backup light # BUL603CRB and amber turn light # STL42AB.

You will need a wiring converter # 118158 to split out the turn signal from the combined stop/turn light signals on the RV. This will allow you to connect its output to a separate amber turn signal light like # STL42AB.

You will likely need some wiring parts too, like butt connectors # DW05744-5 and a crimping tool so you might want a kit like # HM51010 which includes one along with a circuit tester and quick-splice connectors.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>