Installing a 2-Wire Combined Trailer Light on a Vehicle with 3-Wire Separate Wiring


Product: STL201RFMB ETrailer Team, Hello. Just trying to get some help with getting my tailights to function properly with my vehicles tail light harness. The above listed product states that it has a driving light, brake light, turn signal all in one. The problem Im seeing is that the the brake and turn signal share the same wire so I have to jump these two together on my vehicles harness individual turn signal and break light wires. The vehicle harness has separate wires for brake an turn signal. After jumping the wires this causes all lights including front turn signal to pulse when pressing the brake. Long story short its causing power signal to be sent to all indicator lights when ever blinkers or the brakes are triggered. I cant think of any wiring setup that will fix my problem with the turn signal a brake light sharing the same wire. Please let me know if this makes sense and if you have a solution. Thank you for your time and assistance.


Expert Reply:

It sounds like you're trying to use trailer tail light, part # STL201RFMB, which is a 2-wire system on a vehicle that has 3-wire separate wiring. The light is designed as a trailer light, and trailers generally use 2-wire lights but the light can work on a vehicle with separate lighting if wired correctly using a converter.

You need a converter like the Roadmaster Brite-Lite, part # RM-732, to combine the turn signal and brake light circuits on your vehicle. Connect your vehicle's brake light wires to the red wire, the right turn to the green and left turn to the the yellow on the input side. Ground the white wire to the vehicle's frame. Then on the output side the green is your combined right turn signal and brake light and the yellow is your combined left turn signal and brake light. Once they're combined you shouldn't have any problem wiring in your 2-wire light.

expert reply by:
Charles S

Ask The Experts a Question >>

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>