View Cart

Available Class II Hitch Cargo Carriers for 1-1/4-Inch Hitches


Hello. I have a 2007 Toyota 4 Door Camry V6. I have a class II 1 1/4inch rear hitch attached. I am attempting to attach a rear hitch cargo carrier that is foldable. The options are thin from what I can see. What is your suggestion, keeping safety in mind as first priority?


Expert Reply:

The hitch cargo carriers made for 1-1/4-inch Class I and Class II hitch receivers will usually not be the folding type. The reason is that any folding/hinge mechanism will introduce a point of weakness in the carrier's structure, as compared to a fixed carrier without a hinge. When you are already starting off with the smaller 1-1/4-inch shank, adding more potential for weak spots deters carrier makers from trying to make a folding hitch cargo carrier for these hitches.

We do have one enclosed hitch carrier made by Thule, their Transporter Combi Hitch Carrier # TH665C, that can tilt down away from the vehicle, but it cannot fold upright against the back of the vehicle like a flat carrier. This and all other Class II compatible hitch carriers are shown on the linked page.

As you review the various Class II carriers on the linked page you may care to refer to the linked articles. These will help you consider the best option for your specific cargo items.

You will want to note the tongue weight (TW) capacity indicated on your hitch's safety sticker. This is the most that a loaded cargo carrier can weigh when installed in the hitch. The weight of the carrier itself counts against the hitch capacity. So for example, in a hitch rated for 350-lbs of TW using a carrier that weighs 50-lbs means you could load up to 300-lbs of cargo (so long as the carrier has this capacity). This also means a lighter carrier allows more cargo weight to be loaded.

For instance, Curt carrier # C18145 weighs only 29-lbs despite sturdy steel construction.

expert reply by:
Adam R

Ask The Experts a Question >>

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>