bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Does Ram Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapter KPG5-R30 Require Professional Welding


In looking at the reviews, several times its mentioned that a professional welder will need to replace the tube on your existing trailer. my question is, arent most gooseneck horsetrailer standard tubing size, i guess that would be a 4.5inch tubing? I always thought, you just loosened the bolt on the tubing on the horsetrailer, slide it out, and slide in your product, adjusted you height and your good to go. I have i missed something i need to be aware of. thank you


Expert Reply:

Yes, when it comes to round gooseneck couplers, the industry standard is a 4 inch OD inner tube and 4.5 inch OD outer tube.

The Ram Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Trailer Coupler Adapter # KPG5-R30 you referenced includes both the inner and the outer tubes, ideal for people needing to replace a damaged coupler or for someone looking to fabricate a trailer without an existing coupler.

It sound like all you actually need is the Ram Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Trailer Coupler Adapter # KPG5-R30IP, which replaces the inner tube only and can be simply bolted on to your existing outer tube like you mentioned.

Check out the review video I attached for you at the bottom of the page.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>