Trailer Lights Stop Working When Headlights are Turned On with a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche
Ive installed a 4 pole wiring harness on my trailer and connected to my 07 Chevy Avalanche via a 7-to-4 pole adapter. The lights work fine during the day, but they wont work at night. If I turn off the light on my Chevy, the trailer lights will work. Can you help me figure this out? Thanks.
asked by: Jorge P
The most likely cause of your problem is a bad ground connection. It has enough of a connection that it works in the day time because you have less current draw on those circuits with the head lights off. As soon as the headlights are on, you are pulling more current than the weak ground can support.
Check the ground connections on the trailer wiring. Make sure you have good metal to metal contact. Paint and corrosion can act as insulators so make sure the grounds are touching clean metal. Check the grounds of the lights themselves as well as the ground wire that goes to the 4-Way trailer connector.
Finally, check the vehicle. Trace the ground wire from the 7-Way and make sure it has good contact with the Avalanche frame. Again, check for corrosion and clean it up if you find some.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Wishbone 4-way Recommendation
- Replacement 4-Way Flat Trailer Wiring Harness For 10' Trailer
- Replacement Wishbone 4-Way Recommendation for a Trailer
- Will 20 ft. Wishbone 4-Way Trailer Wiring Harness # A20WB work with LED Trailer Taillights
- Recommended Trailer Wiring Replacement For Sea Doo Trailer
- What is the Wire Gauge Used in Optronics 20-ft. Wishbone 4-Way Trailer Wiring Harness A20WB
- Wire Color for Each Function on 4-Way Trailer Wiring
- 4-Pole to 5-Pole Trailer Wiring Adapter
- Troubleshooting Trailer Stop/Turn Circuit Not Active for 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Recommended Replacement 4-Pole Wishbone Trailer Wiring Harness
- Installation of Trailer Wiring Harness Through Frame or Conduit on 6x12 Trailer
- Wire Gauge and Ground Locations for LED Running Lights on a Trailer
- Needing Lamp Setup for Ice Fishing Shack on Trailer
- Recommended 6 Foot Long Wishbone Wiring Harness for Boat Trailer
- How To Wire a Truck Bed Converted to a Trailer
- Troubleshooting Trailer Lights Where All Functions Don't Work or Are Dim
- How Does Wishbone 4-Way Wire to Trailer's 4-Way Wiring that has 7 Wires
- Why Would Trailer Wiring have Two White and Brown Wires
- Wire Gauge for the Wishbone 4-Way Trailer Wiring Harness, # A20WB
- Troubleshooting No Trailer Brake Light or Turn Signal on Left Side
- Recommendation and Instructions for Trailer Wiring On a Hyundai XG350L
- Do You Have a 4-Way Flat Trailer Connector Which Has 5 Wires For Connecting to Trailer Wiring?
- What Gauge Wire is Used in the Wishbone 4-Way Trailer Wiring Harness, # A20WB
- Can 4-Way with 4 Wires be Used with 4-Way with 5 Wires
- What is the Wire Material Made of on the
- Recommended 4-way Wiring Harness For Installing LED Lights On 18' Trailer
- Does Optronics A20WB Trailer Wiring Harness Use All-Copper Wire
- No Drill Mounting Bracket and 4-Way Trailer Wiring Harness for a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan
- Replacement 4-Way Flat Wiring Harness for 1959 Hawthorne Trailer.
- Installing a 4-Pole Flat Harness and the 5-Wire Wishbone Harness