Recommended Sway Bar Upgrade for 2017 Jayco Precept on Ford F-53 Chassis


I have a 2017 Jayco Precept 35up. It has the Jride Plus suspension system, which I gather has a Hellwig Front Sway Bar upgrade that replaces the factory F53 standard sway bar. It is 1 3/4 in in dia. My question is would the Roadmaster Sway Bar make any difference from this factory upgrade? Additionally there is a rear sway bar on the vehicle but I dont know if it is an upgrade. I have already put the front stablizer shock on that I got from Etrailer, but it didnt make a whole lot of difference. Im wondering if I should do the rear anti sway bar and skip the front one since it has that hellwig one on there. Just trying to improve the handling so I dont have to fight it in the wind and when being passed by 18 wheelers. Thanks for any advice you can give.


Expert Reply:

The Roadmaster Front Anti-Sway Bar # RM-1139-140, which is confirmed to fit the F-53 chassis that your Jayco Precept is built on, features the same 1-3/4 inch diameter as the existing Hellwig Sway Bar that you have installed. The Roadmaster model is a great sway bar, but it is unlikely to provide much improvement over the already upgraded Hellwig unit on your Jayco RV.

For this reason, I do recommend looking at adding a rear anti-sway bar. A rear sway bar will actually make the most difference in terms of fighting sway, so this is going to be your best option to avoid those white knuckle situations as semi trucks pass you by. For your RV, I recommend the Roadmaster Rear Anti-Sway Bar # RM-1139-149. This is confirmed to fit your F-53 chassis and the nice thing about this particular model is that it will actually retain the factory sway bar, not replace it, which will allow both units to work together for even greater sway control.

I have attached an installation video on the 2017 Ford F-53 that you can use for reference.

expert reply by:
Chris R

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Follow up Questions

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>