bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Recommendation for Magnetic Tow Lights That Can Be Used as Back-up Should Trailer Lights Fail


Hello, I am asking this as a just in case question. I know there are magnetic based battery powered trailer lights-red and also amber. My trailer is enclosed,I dont know how to attach these lights except by the magnets. I have read at some websites where the lights remained attached whole trip,and others fell off and shattered. I dont see how I can use a rope or cord to make certain the lights stay attached. Do you know of a way to attach them so they wont fall off? Also,is it legal to use these lights to move a trailer over the highway 25 miles? I dont even think I will need them,as I said,this is just in case! Thank you for your reply!


Expert Reply:

It sounds to me like you are looking for a spare set of lighting that would allow you to move your trailer even if the trailer's lighting had failed. If this is the case, if your tow vehicle is equipped with a 4 way, I would recommend going with the Roadmaster Standard Magnetic Tow Lights, # RM-2120. These magnetic lights ensure that you have emergency flashers and the signal lights required for towing without having to tap into existing wiring. Just plug the lights in and you are ready to go.

When it comes to securing the lights in addition to the magnets that are used, if I was concerned about them failing off, I would use a small amount of tape to secure the wire to the trailer, which in turn would keep the lights in place. I am sure that you could find tape at your local hardware store that would work and not damage the paint on your trailer.

As for the Emergency Battery Powered Trailer Lights, # HF18A-MB and # HF18R-MB, that you mentioned, these are designed to alert traffic to an emergency situation. These lights have two settings, flash or constant shine, and do not operate in sync with the towed vehicle. As to whether it would be legal to use these in an emergency situation to get you to where you need to be, I recommend checking with your state's highway patrol department.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Video/Article/FAQ this Question was Asked From

Article or Video
Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages