bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

How Does the Derale Fluid Control Thermostat Kit # D15719 Install


For a 96 Ford Explorer 4.0 L, 4x4 operating in the Canadian frigid winters to summers in Colorado Rockies and Arizona pulling a trailer at times how to connect a Derale Fluid Control Thermostat #D15719 to add in an external transmition cooler only when needed while the factory rad/cooler is in the transmission circuit full time. Please furnish detailed diagram which ports connect to wherever and using which Derale fittings should be ordered and where to put them. If you could recommend ideal location for mounting the thermostat would be appreciated, what mounting bracket to use, etc.. I can make a solid bracket to mount the Derale bracket if needed. Also, the original power steering fluid cooler is rusted and rough looking, so would like to replace it with new complete unit. Normal driving in Canada, but steering gets a workout out West in the high outback mtn. roads and desert trails. Your recommendations please. Thank You and awaiting your early response,


Expert Reply:

To plumb a Derale Fluid Control Thermostat Kit # D15719 is actually pretty easy. All you do is run both the send and return line of the transmission to one side and then run both the send and return lines of the cooler to the other side of it. I attached a picture that shows how this will look.

You would just need to use the send line after the factory cooler so that the fluid will still run through the factory cooler first. I also attached a link to the install instructions for you to check out as well. Ideally you would mount the port out of the way of any hot or moving parts. We don't have a specific recommendation for your vehicle though.

For a power steering cooler you could also use the part # D13212 as a replacement. I attached an install video for you to check out as well.

click to enlarge
expert reply by:
Jameson C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>