Does Using Additional Washers to Install a Hitch on a 2004 Subaru Outback Affect Capacity.
The Curt C12270 hitch has been documented as not aligning properly with the right rear tiedown point of some Outback wagons, requiring a stack of washers or a spacer in addition to those included to take up the gap. It appears that Subaru changed the tiedown geometry at some point, bringing it on center with the frame rail instead of nearly flush with the inboard edge of the rail as shown in your installation video. My tiedown is in the revised location so I will have a gap to fill. Do you know what impact this modification will have to the load capacity of the hitch? Im assuming this issue will also arise on Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch models since they use the same tie down as an anchor point.
asked by: Jonathan K
I spoke to my contact at Curt and he said that as long as you install enough washers for the attachment point to the tow hook so that the hitch sits solidly against it the capacity of the hitch won't be reduced at all.
The issue would be the same for the Draw Tite Hitch part # 36284.
Your answer has been submitted!
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trailer Hitch
- Custom Fit Hitch
- Class II
- 300 lbs TW
- 3500 lbs GTW
- 1-1/4 Inch Hitch
- Visible Cross Tube
more information >
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- 1999 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 1-1/4 Hitch Options
- Is There 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver For 2003 Subaru Outback
- How to Determine if the Curt Hitch for 1997 Subaru Outback Will have enough Clearance for Bike Rack
- Dimensional Drawing of the Curt Hitch part # C12270
- Installation Instructions for Curt C12270 Hitch on 1998 Subaru Legacy
- Available Trailer Hitch to Fit a 1999 Subaru Legacy
- Parts Needed To Tow a Small Boat Trailer With a 2004 Subaru Outback Wagon
- Carrying a 2 Inch Bike Rack on a 2003 Subaru Outback
- Hitch Recommendation for a 1999 Subaru Outback
- How to Get Replacement Hardware for the Curt part # C12270
- Draw-Tite Hitch Recommendation for Ground Clearance on a 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon
- Installing Curt Trailer Hitch on 1999 Subaru Legacy
- What is the Highest Rated Hitch for a 2018 Subaru Impreza for Towing and Accessories?
- Will Curt Trailer Hitch C12270 Fit 1991 Subaru Legacy Wagon?
- Trailer Hitch that Fits 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon
- Replacement Mounting Hardware For Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver C12270 On a 1996 Subaru Legacy
- Trailer Hitch and Wiring for a 1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon
- 2001 Subaru Outback Wagon Trailer Hitch Receiver Class II - 1-1/4
- Availability of a Class III Hitch That Fits Both 2000 and 2015 Subaru Outback
- Mounting Hole to Receiver Face on Curt Trailer Hitch # C12270 for a 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon
- Will The Curt Class II Hitch Receiver # C12270 Fit A 2002 Subaru OUtback Wagon And Sedan?
- Replacement Hitch Install Hardware for a Curt Hitch on a 1995 Subaru Legacy
- Trailer Hitch Bumper Clearance on a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon
- Is There a 2 Inch Trailer Hitch for a 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon
- Curt Hitch Recommendation for a 1998 Legacy Wagon Brighton Model
- Installing a Trailer Hitch on a 1993 Subaru Legacy
- How to Change my Thule T2 Bike Rack from a 2-Inch to a 1/1/4 Inch Receiver for my 1998 Subaru Legacy
- Will Curt Trailer Hitch # C12270 Fit a 2001 Subaru Legacy Wagon
- Curt Hitch Recommendation for a 2013 Subaru Outback Wagon