bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

What Parts Are Needed To Install a Shore Power Circuit On a Trailer  


I have a 25’ wide when extended x 53‘ semi-trailer that I use as a traveling learning lab. For part of the year I go to school districts so their students can come on board and use my high tech learning platforms 3D printer, 3D computers, etc. When I go to these locations, I run the unit on its generator that heats, cools, and allows for all of the outlets to power my equipment. And that will continue. However, when I have the vehicle on campus, I would like to be able to plug it in via a “shore” power station so I don’t have to idle it constantly and use diesel. How much does it cost to install a Shore station and to configure the semi-trailer for electric plug in? What companies sell these stations? What advice do you have for me? Thank you!


Expert Reply:

I do have some of the components that you will need to set your trailer up for a shore power circuit but if install cost is all you are looking for then you would be best off talking with a qualified service center as this is not something we partake in. The primary factor will be the shop's labor rate and that can very drastically so it would be best if you call around for this beforehand.

In order to install a shore power circuit you are going to need a transfer switch, power inlet, and shore power cord. The other components you will need are wiring and electrical connectors which can be acquired at most home improvement stores.

For a 50 amp service transfer switch, I recommend the Progressive Dynamics Transfer Switch part # PD52DCS which has a built-in surge protector and offers up to 103,000 amps of power. For a 50 amp power inlet, I recommend the Epicord 50 Amp Twist Lock Power Inlet - Black part # 277-000140. For a 50 amp shore power cord, I recommend the Might RV Power Cord with Handle part # A10-5036EDBK. If the campus only has a 30 amp service then you can use the Mighty Cord RV Power Cord Adapter part # A10-3050FBK.

expert reply by:
Conner L
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Products Referenced in This Question

Video/Article/FAQ this Question was Asked From

Article or Video
Q & A Icon

Continue Researching

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>