New Side Marker trailer Lights are Very Dim
I just replaced the marker lights on my boat trailer. I wired the vehicle driver side light into the brown wire using a butt connector. On the vehicle passenger side I did the same thing and somehow it grounded both of them out when both ends of the brown wire and the single, black wire from the optronics marker light were attached together. I was able to remove one end of the brown wire and both marker lights came back on but were very dim. Any ideas? The truck is a 2011 Ford F150, the boat is a 2007 Tahoe Q6 with the 5-pole flat connector.
asked by: Gregory T
It sounds like a bad ground connection. Ground problems normally show up when there is more draw on a system such as when you have the running lights on and then use another function like a turn signal or brake light. But can also appear when changing out lights.
Make sure that the vehicle side and trailer side connectors are clean and free of corrosion inside and out. The main connector grounds should be attached to clean and corrosion free bare metal surfaces.
The light grounds should also be attached to clean and corrosion free bare metal surfaces. If there is anything between a light ground and the metal trailer frame or if the trailer has an aluminum frame, tilt bed, or folding tongue, any of these things can interrupt the ground. Running jumper wires from the light grounds to the main trailer connector ground can help.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Wire Gauge of 7-Way & Junction Box
- Can 2 Pole Wring Connector Like PK12200 Be Used to Connect Trailer Side Marker Lights
- How Many Ring Terminals Are Included with Fastenal # 44-5310A
- Troubleshooting No 12V Power at Factory-Installed 7-Way on 2017 Toyota Sequoia
- Best Way to Power Lights in Enclosed Trailer
- Wiring a Side Marker Light to the Running Light Wire on a Trailer
- LED Tailgate Light Bar Only Works Without Taillights On
- Parts Needed to Add Back Up Lights & 7-Way Connector on Boat Trailer
- Availability of Trailer Wiring in Different Connector Formats
- Troubleshooting A Tekonsha RF Prodigy Brake Controller That Won't Pair To The Remote
- Parts Needed For Wiring Electric Trailer Brakes On a 2018 Tandem Axle Trailer
- How Do The Breakaway Switch And Electric Brakes Connect To A Trailer's 7 Way
- Parts Needed to Adapt 7-Way Combined Vehicle Wiring with Separate 6-Pole Trailer Wiring
- Parts Needed To Convert Electric Over Hydraulic To Electric Brakes On Dexter 15,000LB Axle
- Recommendation for Adding Electric Trailer Brakes to Trailer with 3,500 lb Axles & 5 on 5 Inch Hubs
- 7-Way Trailer Connector and Curt C51180 Echo Wireless Brake Controller Install on 2013 Volvo XC90
- Troubleshooting Prodigy P3 Showing No Trailer Connected to Trailer 5-Way Connector
- Parts Needed to Install Curt C51180 Echo Wireless Brake Controller on 2020 Hyundai Palisade
- Recommended Method For Installing Longer 7-way Trailer Connector Harness On Trailer W/ 9' Deck
- Diameter of Terminals on Spectro Trailer Wiring Junction Box
- Parts Needed to Convert from Hydraulic to Electric Brakes on a 1995 Jayco Pop Up Trailer
- Parts Needed to Wire Brakes to Trailer
- Hydraulic Drum Brake to Electric Drum Brake Conversion for 8-247 Hubs
- Parts Needed to Convert From Hydraulic to Electric Brakes for 3,500 lb Axles
- Brake Controller And Brakes Recommendations For 2010 Kia Sedona And Trailer
- Recommended Brakes, Drums, and Tires for 2990 GVW Trailer
- Recommended Disc Brake Components for Nuwa Hitchhiker 5th Wheel Trailer Conversion
- Junction Box for Trailer for Install of Autowbrake Electric Brake Controller