bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Eye Bolts and Tie Down Kits for the Roof of a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland  


Hello, I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and want to purchase both a roof rack and tie down loops. I found the roof rack I want, but cant find or even figure out what the tie down loops would be called. I just purchased some tie downs straps with hooks to secure things on the roof rack. Can you help me with this what the loop is called that goes into the rail system and I can put the hook into to hold down and where I can find it?


Expert Reply:

The item you're looking for can be several different things.

If you're looking for a solid ring to tie things down to, you're looking for what's called an "eye bolt". One of the best universal kits is the Rhino-Rack Aero/Sportz EyeBolt, part # S604. This will add two eye bolts to your roof rack's channel system, and let you use it to tie down using ratchet straps or ropes directly to the roof rack.

If you're planning on repeatedly tying down things to your roof rack with ratchet straps, say, if you're a contractor or weekend DIY-er that moves ladders or oversized objects frequently. You'll want the Ratchet Grab Tie-Down, part # RRSRG. This will add one ratchet strap that mounts directly into your roof rack channel, and can be used with the eye bolts from above to add a permanent, reuseable kit to your channel.

I've included a few videos that detail how these install into the channel of the roof bars. If you have the Rhino Rack Heavy Duty bars, let me know, as there's variants of these available for those bars.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>