Wiring US 4-Pole Trailer Connector to For Trailer with European 7-way


I am in Germany with the Army. My American spec car has the flat 4 and my European motorcycle trailer has the round 7 pin. Can you describe more in detail the special adapter? And does anyone make one? What permanent changes should you have to do. Splice together the tail lights for beginners? Thanks!


Expert Reply:

I am not aware of the existence of an adapter, but one could be easily constructed.

You will need to find a vehicle-side socket to receive the plug from your trailer. We do not carry them, so you will need to obtain one locally. You will also need a vehicle to vehicle taillight converter like part # 118158 and a trailer side 4-pole like part # 18004. You would then wire the converter as shown in the diagram I provided.

Using this adapter will separate the turn signal back out so that the separate turn signals on your trailer will operate correctly.

Click to Enlarge
expert reply by:
Mike L

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Follow up Questions

What do you think?

* e-mail address format: [email protected]

Yes, I would like an email notification if someone replies to my comment?

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>