Recommendation For 2 Bike Rack For 2008 Volkswagen Eos
I have a Vw Eos 2008, I want to carry two bikes. What bike carrier Trunk? or Hitch would be correct for me
asked by: Izzy
On your 2008 Volkswagen Eos I would recommend to use a hitch with a hitch mount bike rack.
Thule does not list a trunk bike rack for the Volkswagen Eos vehicle. Yakima does list trunk bike racks that will fit your vehicle, but the trunk bike rack will have to be removed before you can retract the hardtop into the trunk. I am including a link to the Yakima trunk bike racks that will fit your Eos.
I would recommend the Curt Class I 1-1/4 Inch Hitch, part # C11090. This hitch is a Class I hitch so you will limited to only hauling 2 bikes maximum on a hitch bike rack. I am including a link to the installation instructions for you.
For a 2 bike hitch rack that will work on your Volkswagen Eos, I would recommend the Swagman XTC-2 Platform Bike Rack, part # S64670. This platform style bike rack has a center post that can be lowered down and out of the way of the trunk lid, so when the trunk lid opens for the convertible hardtop to slide into the trunk, it will not interfere with the bike rack. I am including a link to a video of the Swagman bike rack and it will demonstrate how the center post can be lowered.
When using this bike rack, loaded or unloaded with the center post in the up position, you will always want to pay close attention that the rack is back there and not to activate the convertible.
You can use the Swagman Trailhead 2 Bike Rack, part # S63360, you have referenced, but it will probably have to be removed from the hitch if you retract the roof into the trunk.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trailer Hitch
- Custom Fit Hitch
- Class I
- 100 lbs TW
- 1000 lbs GTW
- 1-1/4 Inch Hitch
- Concealed Cross Tube
more information >
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Platform Rack
- Folding Rack
- Frame Mount
- Locks Not Included
- 2 Bikes
- Class 2
- Fits 1-1/4 Inch Hitch
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
- Fits 1-1/4 and 2 Inch Hitch
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Electric Bikes
- Article: How to Choose a Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack
- Q&A: Can Bikes with Fender Fit on RockyMounts AfterParty Swing Away Bike Rack
- Q&A: Weight of Swagman 2-Bike Rack # S63400
- Q&A: Recommended Hitch-Mount Bike Carrier For 2002 Nissan Sentra
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: Recommended Platform Bike Rack for a 1-1/4 Inch Hitch
- Q&A: How Far Does 1-1/4" Shank Extend Inside 2" Portion of Shank?
- Article: Carrying Bikes While Towing a 5th Wheel Camper Trailer
- Q&A: Compatibility of Hollywood Racks Destination Bike Rack With Women's Bike Frames
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: Bike Rack Recommendation for a 2013 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible
- Article: Ball Mount Basics: Weight Capacity, Class, and Size
- Article: What is an RV-Approved Bike Rack? (And Do You REALLY Need One?)