Installation of Fulton Fold-Away Coupler Hinge Kit # FHDPB330301 On a Trailer
how to install the trailer fold awaycoupler ?
asked by: Alex N
You will want to make sure when installing the Fulton Fold-Away Coupler Hinge Kit, part # FHDPB330301, that the distance you put the hinge at on the trailer tongue will still allow you to maintain the correct weight capacity and tongue weight for your trailer.
The Fulton Fold-Away Coupler will fit a 3 x 3 inch tongue and the maximum distance (pivot length) you will want to mount the hinge at on the tongue is 48 inches. This would create a 48 inch foldaway tongue on your trailer. At that distance the gross trailer weight capacity it could handle would be reduced to 2,600 lbs and the tongue weight would be 260 lbs. It can be mounted up to 24 inches and still maintain the 5,000-lb gross trailer weight capacity and 500-lb tongue weight capacity. I am including a picture of a table that will show what the weight capacity will be at a certain pivot length.
For the best and safest ride, you will want to install the Fulton coupler hinge kit so that the coupler ends up being in about the same position as the old trailer coupler was, to retain the same tongue weight and lessen the chance of failure.
To install the Fulton Fold-Away Coupler on your trailer tongue you will need to cut your trailer tongue with a reciprocating saw or an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel installed on it. The coupler is then inserted into each end of the cut trailer tongue and you will need to drill 8 holes on top of the tongue and 8 holes on the bottom of the tongue to install the coupler. When drilling the holes it is recommended to start with a smaller pilot hole, before drilling the correct size hole.
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Trailer Hitch Recommendation for 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Q&A: Recommended Hitch for a 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
- Q&A: Can I Remove A Weld-On Trailer Coupler and Replace it With A Bolt-On Coupler?
- Q&A: Can a Damaged Torsion Axle Be Replaced with Timbren Axle-Less Suspension
- Q&A: What Kind Of Plug Do I Need In Order To Use The DX29FR Surge Brake Actuator
- Q&A: How to Extend Trailer Tongue By 36 Inches
- Article: Best Boat Trailer Jacks
- Q&A: Battery Disconnect Needed When Flat Towing a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500
- Article: Trailer Tire Sizing
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Best Air Bag Suspension (2023)
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: How to Measure the Bolt Pattern of a Trailer Wheel