Trailer Wiring

change make

Select Vehicle Model

Trailer Wiring

Available Models for 2006 GMC Trailer Wiring

Trailer Wiring Harness

Make installing your trailer wiring harness as easy as possible with a custom fit wiring harness. Trailer wiring from Draw-Tite, Curt, Pollak, Tow Ready, Bosal, and Hopkins eliminates or reduces the need to cut and splice wires. It also helps to protect your vehicle's sensitive electronics from mis-wired trailers.

Choose the year of your vehicle to the left to find a custom fit trailer wiring harness.

Wiring Adapter Fitguide

Trailer Connectors and Adapters

Wire and Wiring Accessories

Trailer Wiring Manufacturers

Accessories

2006 GMC Questions and Answers

• Differences Between Round Tube and Square Tube Fifth Wheel Slider Hitches
  • The round tube slider will provide 12 inches of front to back travel, compared to 10 inches on a square tube slider. That could provide an extra 2 inches of turning clearance. A round tube slider will eliminate binding, which seems to allow better movement of the hitch on the slider, as compared to the square tube slider. Usually any truck that has a bed less than 8 feet long is considered a short bed truck. It is recommended for short bed trucks to use a slider fifth wheel hitch. I...
    view full answer...

• Availability of Tonneau That Will Withstand Hailstones for 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Long Bed
  • I spoke with my contact at BAK Industries, and explained the weather challenges you've been dealing with. The most damage-resistant hard tonneau they offer is the BAKFlip F1, part # BAK72102. This is their most durable cover, using fiberglass reinforced polymer panels on top, instead of aluminum like your current cover. The F1 features the fiberglass panel on top, and an aluminum underside. The core or center is constructed of closed cell foam. If you're talking baseball sized hail,...
    view full answer...

• 2006 GMC Sierra Trailer Wiring Not Supplying Battery Charge on a 2005 Slide in Camper by Six Pac
  • If you have a 7-Way connector on the rear of your 2006 GMC Sierra, the number 4 contact, in the 1 o-clock position, looking inside the connector from the rear of the vehicle, should be the 12 volt hot wire contact (see link). Check this contact with a circuit tester, item # 3808 if needed. If you do not have power to this contact then you will need to determine if there is a blown fuse. This fuse is under the hood in the power distribution box (see link). There should be a 40 amp fuse in...
    view full answer...

• Recommended Class V Hitch for 2006 GMC Sierra for Towing 10,800 lb Boat
  • I'd recommend upgrading that hitch, ASAP. If the hitch fails while you're towing, causing an accident, your insurance company would be well within their rights to deny you coverage which would leave you wide open to all kinds of legal liability. Not a pretty situation. Usually, Class V hitches do indeed have a 2-1/2 inch receiver tube. However, companies like Curt Manufacturing, Draw-Tite and B&W have developed Class V hitches with a 2 inch receiver tube that are strong enough to be...
    view full answer...

• How Far Back Will Frame Brackets of Curt Trutrack Weight Distribution Install on Trailer Frame
  • You are on the right track in that you do need a weight distribution system with a higher tongue weight rating than what you currently have due to the weight of your trailer. The Curt system part # C17501 is basically an Equalizer clone so if your current Equalizer is working well this would be an excellent option. I spoke with my contact at Curt and he informed me that the frame brackets can be installed on the frame between 28-1/2 inches and 31-1/2 inches from the center of the ball...
    view full answer...

• Adapter Recommendation to Connect 5th Wheel Propane to External Tank and Grill
  • The kit you need is the part # 103539-MBS which comes with the lines and several fittings to accomplish what you are looking to do. This will allow you to hook an external propane tank up to your RV if needed. Also has adapters for allowing you to use a grill too.
    view full answer...

• Wiring 12v Power Source to Battery on a Trailer
  • Whatever pin the battery is wired to needs to have a wire run from the vehicle 7 way to the 40 amp stud or the battery itself. You will want a fuse or breaker in the circuit so as not to draw too much from the vehicle system and burn the circuit if you run straight to the battery. Usually a battery on a dump trailer will be wired to the pin at 11:00 as you face the trailer connector. I have included a link to a page with a plug wiring diagram so you can see what should be where.
    view full answer...

• Which Brake Controller and Parts are Need for a 2006 GMC Yukon Denali XL
  • Since your Yukon is already wired with a 7-Way from the factory, all you will need is the brake controller and harness. Brake controllers are universal so any brake controller will work, so long as you have the right harness. The Prodigy P2 # 90885 has replaced the Prodigy # 90185, and is our best selling brake controller. The correct wiring adapter for your Yukon is # 3015-P. I have linked to a video of the Prodigy and # 3015-P harness being installed on a 2004 Chevy Suburban. Different...
    view full answer...

• Will B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch Fit 2006 GMC Sierra with AirLift 5000 Helper Springs
  • I spoke with my contact at AirLift regarding the LoadLifter 5000 Air Helper Springs # AL57275 you have installed on your 2006 GMC Sierra. He stated that with this particular system there will not be any compatibility issues with a gooseneck hitch like the B&W Turnoverball Hitch # BWGNRK1067. The air springs mount under the frame rail while most 5th-wheel and gooseneck hitches use the sides. This gooseneck hitch is confirmed to fit your GMC Sierra and will provide a towing weight capacity...
    view full answer...

• Trailer Towing Capacity of 2006 GMC Envoy with Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
  • Page 4-58 of the online owner's manual for your 2006 GMC Envoy with inline 6-cylinder engine lists varying towing capacities depending on the axle that is installed and whether the vehicle is 2WD or 4WD. For the 2WD Envoy (L6 engine) the maximum trailer weights are: 5300-lbs for the 3.42 axle ratio 5800-lbs for the 3.73 axle ratio 6300-lbs for the 4.10 axle ratio For the 4WD Envoy (same L6 engine) the maximum trailer weights are: 5200-lbs for 3.42 axle 5700-lbs for 3.73 axle 6200-lbs...
    view full answer...

• Differenced Between Stromberg 3500 Series and 4000 Series Tailgates for GM Trucks
  • The Stromberg Carlson 4000 Series 5th Wheel Louvered Tailgate with Lock # VGM-99-4000 replaced the Stromberg Carlson 3500 Series Tailgate VGM-99-3500. Stromberg has discontinued the 3500 series tailgate. The 4000 series is a bit lighter than the 3500, and has a 2 year limited warranty over the 3500's 1 year. Both tailgates were designed to fit GM trucks, and the 4000 is confirmed to fit your 2006 GMC Sierra. I have attached an installation video of # VGM-99-4000 on a 2006 Silverado for you.
    view full answer...

• How to Select Weight Distribution System for 2006 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L V8 4WD
  • In most cases the best way to fix rear-end sag in a tow vehicle pulling a travel trailer is a weight distribution/sway control system (WD/SC). These systems do not simply stiffen the rear suspension but instead they actually shift some of the trailer's tongue weight (TW) forward to the vehicle's front axle. This helps restore braking and steering performance that can suffer when the vehicle's front end if lifted up by the weight on the rear hitch. These systems also have the ability to...
    view full answer...

• Why Does a Factory Class V Hitch on a GMC Sierra have Lower Capacities than Aftermarket Hitches
  • Most aftermarket Class V hitches will have higher ratings than factory hitches. Most aftermarket hitches have higher ratings than the vehicles they are designed for. Since your hitch is factory GMC probably just decided to put the rating that the vehicle has instead of just the hitch so as not to confuse people. Going with a hitch with a higher rating than what the vehicle is rated for would not give you additional capacity. You are only as strong as your weakest component. With...
    view full answer...

• Is the Yakima RocketBox 14 Roof Top Cargo Box Water Proof and Will it Mount to a 2006 GMC Envoy
  • I spoke with my contact at Yakima about whether or not the RocketBox Pro 14, # Y07192 is water proof. She stated that none of the Yakima cargo boxes are water proof, but they are weather resistant. This means that if you have something that cannot get wet, you would need to put it in something that is water proof first, before loading it in the carrier. This cargo box has clamps that hold on to the cross bars that run side to side on top of your 2006 GMC Envoy. It is made to fit as many...
    view full answer...

• Do Towing Mirrors # CTM2300B Extend Enough to See Behind an 8 Foot Trailer Towed by 2010 Ford F-150
  • I can tell you that with the Original Custom Towing Mirror Slide-On Mirror (Pair), # CTM2300B, installed on your 2010 Ford F-150, the mere fact that they stick out beyond the factory mirrors will allow you to see further behind the trailer than with stock mirrors. However, a lot depends on the length of the trailer, how the mirrors are adjusted, and how close to the rear of the trailer you want to see. I did a little research on the 2010 model F-150 and found that it is 78.90 inches...
    view full answer...

• Flat Towing Parts Needed for a 2006 GMC Yukon XL
  • For your 2006 GMC Yukon XL you would want to first start with a base plate kit. I really like the Blue Ox setups so you would want the part # BX1660. For a tow bar you would want the Blue Ox Avail # BX7420. This is one of the nicest tow bars on the market and it comes with safety cables. For lighting you would want the part # HM56101. This kit is custom fit for your vehicle and won't require any cutting or splicing to activate your vehicle taillights. And finally, most states now...
    view full answer...

• Towing 5th Wheel Trailer Using Short Bed Truck w/ Gooseneck Hitch
  • The Reese Sidewinder WILL work with B&W hitches that are compatible with industry standard rails, like the B&W Patriot, part # BWRVK3270 would work great for you. However, the Sidewinder would NOT be compatible with a B&W Companion, part # BWRVK3400-5W. The Companion would mount into a B&W Turnover ball gooseneck hitch but since the Companion has only a single mounting point to the vehicle, the concern is that the one attachment point couldn't handle the twisting force that the Sidewinder...
    view full answer...

• Weight Distribution System for a 2006 GMC Yukon Towing a Travel Trailer
  • From the figures you have given me, I am going to figure that when loaded, the tongue weight of your trailer will run around 1000 lbs, which will fall right in between 10 and 15 percent of the trailer weight. This weight figure will also account for any cargo in your Yukon that is loaded behind the rear axle. It is this figure I am going to use to base my recommendation. I would go with the Reese Steadi-Flex Weight Distribution, # RP66561, that you have referenced. The main benefit...
    view full answer...

• Will the K Source Custom Extendable Towing Mirrors Work with Memory Settings on a 2006 GMC Sierra
  • The memory setting feature in OEM vehicles is a patented feature that aftermarket manufacturers are not allowed to duplicate, so they will not adjust to the memory settings. I spoke with my contact at K Source and he told me that there are instructions on how to disengage the memory settings for the mirrors included in the box. If the memory settings are not disengaged when you install the K Source Custom Extendable Towing Mirrors, # KS62075-76G, then you will have to adjust your mirrors...
    view full answer...

• 7-Way Wiring Diagram for a 2006 GMC C5500
  • The standard layout for a 7-Way plug can be viewed in the included diagram. If your 2006 GMC C5500 has a factory 7-Way, this should be the same layout used for your existing plug. If it is an aftermarket 7-Way, it is possible that the plug was wired with a different layout, depending on the installer. You can use a circuit tester like part # 3808 to verify that your 7-Way is laid out the same way as the picture.
    view full answer...

• Ladder Rack Height for MaxxTow and Erickson Ladder Racks for a 2006 GMC Canyon
  • If you check out the picture I attached of the MaxxHaul Truck Bed Ladder Rack # MT70386 installed you can see that this rack sits very tall on the back of the truck. The overall height is 45 inches. For a lower height ladder rack that is also cost-effective the Erickson Truck Bed Ladder Rack # EM07706 has been confirmed as a fit for your 2006 GMC Canyon with a 5 foot bed and only sits 33-1/2 inches tall.
    view full answer...

• Does the Receiver Come Out Below the Bumper on a Draw-Tite Front Hitch # 65028 on a 2006 GMC Sierra
  • I checked out the installation instructions for this Draw-Tite Front Mount Trailer Hitch # 65028 and it will bolt to the bottom of the frame rail. The hitch opening will come out below the bumper and not through the opening behind your license plate. I attached the installation instructions for you to check out also.
    view full answer...

• Fifth Wheel Rail Kit Recommendation for 2006 GMC Sierra for Use with Husky Hitch
  • The Reese fifth wheel rail kit part # RP50064-58 is a confirmed fit for your 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 short bed and is compatible with your Husky fifth wheel hitch. It's a custom install kit which means drilling will be minimized and install time will be cut in half when compared to a universal kit. The rear rail edge will be 47-1/2 inches from the rear edge of the truck bed. The rail in front of it will be placed with a hitch once the rear rail is located.
    view full answer...

• Timbren Front Axle Suspension Kit # TGMFK25S for 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
  • The Timbren front-axle jounce spring suspension kit you referenced, part # TGMFK25S, is a fit for both 2WD and 4WD versions of the 2004 Sierra 1500 SLT. These bolt-on without any drilling required (using included hardware) and replace the factory bump stops now on your truck. These and all other suspension enhancement products we offer are designed for use in vehicles whose suspension system is in good order. They are not intended to be an alternative to replacing a worn or damaged suspension....
    view full answer...

• How to Apply Grease using E-Z Lube Spindles
  • I recommend greasing your bearings and hubs as follows - first, grease your bearings and spindle by hand or with a bearing packer like part # L70025. If you are going to do it by hand, start with a gob of grease in your palm and then press the bearing into the grease with some force. Next, insert your bearings and grease seal in the hub and mount your hub on your spindle. You should slowly pump grease into the spindle. As you are pumping the grease into the spindle, occasionally rotate...
    view full answer...

• No Brake Lights and Turn Signal Power on the Trailer Wiring on a 2006 GMC Duramax
  • There would not be any additional fuses for the brake lights and turn signals for the trailer wiring on your 2006 GMC Sierra. There may be relays related to the tow package that could be bad if the fuses were blown. I would check your owners manual or your fuse boxes to look for any relays related to the tow package and replace them as well. I could not locate a copy of an owners manual for a 2006 GMC Sierra, so I do not have specific locations if they exist. Another possibility may...
    view full answer...

• Replacement Cover for Extang FullTilt Tonneau Cover on 2006 GMC Sierra w/ 6-1/2 Foot Bed
  • If your FullTilt tonneau cover is part # EX38940, then the # EX37940 replacement cover would indeed be the correct replacement tarp for you.
    view full answer...

• Dimensions of the Replacement Mounting Plate for Thule Spare Me Spare-Tire-Mounted Bike Carrier
  • I went out to the warehouse and pulled Replacement Mounting Plate, # 753-3532, to take some measurements. Since there are so many different holes and possibilities on this item, I went ahead and made a diagram and video for you showing the most relevant dimensions.
    view full answer...

• Recommendation of Gooseneck Adapter Plates or a Gooseneck Hitch for a 2006 GMC Sierra Pickup
  • If you already have the fifth-wheel rails installed in the bed of your truck then I would go with a Gooseneck Plate so that you do not have to install a new under bed mount system and make new holes in the truck bed. Cost will be less if you use a gooseneck plate also, plus there is the added advantage that if you want to tow a fifth-wheel trailer you will be able to use a fifth-wheel hitch without a gooseneck adapter. A gooseneck to fifth-wheel trailer adapter would be another expense...
    view full answer...

• Mounting Hole Pattern for Draw-Tite Hide-A-Goose Hitch on a 2006 GMC Sierra 3500 Long Bed
  • The Hi Rise 5th wheel adapter # 9480-5W doesn't have holes at the corners. It mounts in a gooseneck ball hole, specifically B7W Turnover ball hitches and Reese, Draw-Tite, or Bulldog Hide-A-Goose hitches. Likewise, the Draw-Tite gooseneck hitch # 9465-45-5W will have the large center gooseneck hole and the holes through which the safety chain u-bolts go. It and the Hi Rise are compatible with one another. The center hole will be 3-1/2 inches in diameter. The holes to mount the hitch...
    view full answer...

^
About Us
photos and videos

Original Photos & Videos

Produced to make sure you know what you are getting and you get exactly what you need.

installations

Installations Completed

To make sure products work and fit the way they are supposed to.

etrailer call center

Phone Calls & Emails Answered

1,125,924 phone calls and 1,350,587 emails to help find the right solution.

etrailer training
400+

Average Hours of Product Training

We get to know our products firsthand so experts can better help you.

etrailer service

Years of Quality Customer Service

Assisting our neighbors and customers, face to face at the counter.

etrailer experts

Pages of Expert Information

Created to make sure you have all the answers to your questions, from real experts.