bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Is Hollywood Racks HLY64FR RV Rider or HLY 74FR SportRider SE Better for Step-Thru Frame Bikes  


I have two Rad Rover e-bikes one is a step-thru which one of these racks would work with a step-thru bike. the rack that it is on now doesnt work so I need a new rack to transport my bike.


Expert Reply:

Either rack would work well for you, assuming that you're planning on using the rack on a passenger vehicle with a 2 inch receiver hitch. That being said, one of the racks will work with your step-thru bike right out of the box, the other will require that an accessory be used.

The primary difference between the racks is how they hold the bike's frame. The # HLY64FR RV Rider can hold the bike frame at the seat post tube or the top tube, which makes it ideal for bikes with step through frames. Additionally, the RV rider is rated for use on 5th wheel trailers or vehicles that are being flat towed, so it's super-versatile. The rack has an 80 lb capacity and will accept bikes with tires up to 5 inches wide with wheelbases up to 60 inches long. It's compatible with 2 inch receiver hitches only.

The # HLY74FR SportRider SE has the same 80 lb capacity, is also compatible with bikes that have tires up to 5 inches wide and wheelbases up to 60 inches, but it's also compatible with Class II hitches which use a 1-1/4 inch square receiver. The rack uses hooks to secure the bike by the top frame tube. On a bike with a step-thru frame, you'd need to use a frame adapter bar like # HRBA-PRO which wouldn't be required with the # HLY64FR RV Rider rack.

So, if the extra cost of the # HLY64FR RV Rider is worth the extra flexibility it offers, it would be a great choice. If you won't ever use the rack on anything other than a passenger vehicle, the # HLY74FR SportRider would probably be best for you, even though you'd need the adapter bar mentioned above for the step-thru bike.

I've linked you to demonstration videos for the products mentioned above.

expert reply by:
Mike L

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Continue Researching

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>