bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Recommended Trailer Jack Replacement With Snap Ring And 1/2 Inch Plunger Pin


I have a Fulton welded on marine jack with snap ring on my trailer. Once again I have damaged the pull pin, this time because it was not strong enough to withstand loading several very large and heavy round bales of hay while sitting on the jack, not connected to my truck. Clearly the wheel was part of the pins bending issue, and the pin itself was not strong enough to resist forward motion while the hay was loaded. Id like to upgrade the jack to this heavier duty model, but was wondering if it would be possible to do that without removing the Fulton welded on connector to the trailer. I seem to recall that in the past I was able to replace the jack part of the Fulton by removing the snap ring, putting a new Fulton jack on and replacing the snap ring. Could this be done to change from Fulton to Bulldog? I know they are both made by the same company, and some of the snap rings are interchangeable. My Fulton jack is so old that none of its information is readable as far as I can tell. Of course, I could always just buy another pull pin, but that wouldnt solve the wheel issue.


Expert Reply:

I confirmed with Cequent that all of their snap rings are the same size, so you can swap your Fulton jack with the Bulldog jacks. The Bulldog Round, Snap-Ring Swivel Jack - Topwind - 15" Lift - 5,000 lbs, # BD171412, you referenced is a great jack that I recommend for your application. The foot plate will help reduce the pressure on the pin as you mentioned as there will be far less movement with the welded foot plate than with the wheel. This jack is made to comply with commercial and agricultural standards, so you will be able to load your hay bales without needing to pick the tongue of your trailer off the ground again.

There are different size plunger pins so you will want to make sure you have a 1/2 inch hole in your welded mount. If you ever want to increase that plunger pin size, you would have to replace your welded mount.

expert reply by:

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>