Q & A Icon

Installation and Securing of Thule Roadway Bike Rack to the Trailer Hitch on a 2008 Lexus RX 350


How does bike frame such as Thule 912xtr fit into hitch 13530 and be secure but also not that difficult to remove? I do not want the bike frame as permanent attachment to car.


Expert Reply:

I can help explain how this bike rack will fit into the hitch and secure better for you.

First thing to know is that the Thule Roadway Bike Rack # TH912XTR can fit both a 1-1/4 and 2 inch hitch with the use of the included adapter sleeve. With the sleeve on this will give you the 2 inch receiver opening that will fit into the 2 inch Curt Class III hitch # 13530 you were looking at. These two will pair great and the Curt hitch is also confirmed to fit your 2008 Lexus RX 350's frame.

The Thule Roadway # TH912XTR comes with a threaded hitch bolt that secures into the threaded washer welded inside the shank of the bike rack. Your bike rack will come with a wrench to tighten this down for installation and removal. You will want to tighten the bolt down because the built-in anti-rattle bolt secures the rack to your hitch and reduces movement and noise. You can also upgrade this bolt to a locking bolt with the # THSTL2. I've linked a video of this bike rack being installed on a different vehicle for you to see how it installs into a 2 inch hitch and the installer will also show you how to tighten down the anti-rattle bolt (at the 1 minute 20 second mark).

It's important to mention if you plan on transporting any alternative framed bikes, like most women's bikes are, you will need to use a bike adapter bar like # UB01 to mount them properly in the cradles.

I have linked all the above mentioned products as well as a couple videos of the products being installed to this page for your viewing and purchasing convenience.

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
expert reply by:
Jackie C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Follow up Questions

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>