5th Wheel to Gooseneck Adapters for Towing a 5th Wheel Trailer Using a Gooseneck Hitch
I bought a RAM 3500 with a 64 box. I am hauling a 2010 26foot Laredo 5th wheel that has a good forward king pin location and rounded front, so turning is better than a square fronted unit. IF I buy a gooseneck adapter making my 5th wheel trailer into a gooseneck unit, will I have enough cab clearance when backing up? I like the gooseneck set up and prefer it over the clunky standard 5th wheel hitch set up. Just thinking I might be ok with this rather than buying the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection.
asked by: Bruce D
The ideal set up for towing a 5th wheel trailer is going to be a 5th wheel hitch. However if you have a gooseneck hitch already and must or want to use an adapter the best option is going to be a Reese Goose Box such as # RP94622-61301.
There are 2 Goose Boxes and each of them fits specific OEM pin boxes on 5th wheel trailers. So if you have one of the ones listed then you can use a Goose Box:
Goose Box # RP94716-61301 fits in place of Lippert 0115, 1116 and 1716 pin boxes and is rated for 16,000 pounds.
Goose Box # RP85FR fits in place of Lippert 0719, 1621 and 1621HD pin boxes as well as Fabex PB-600 Series pin boxes and is rated for 20,000 pounds.
If you do not already have a gooseneck trailer hitch installed in your truck then a sliding 5th wheel hitch is the best option. We now have some sliding hitches that will slide automatically so you will not have to do anything when making tight turns. I just need to know the year of your Ram 3500 to determine the proper installation kit.
These sliding hitches, the Demco HiJacker Auto-Slide series, have 14 inches of travel for additional clearance when turning which is way more than any adapter can provide.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Gooseneck and Fifth Wheel Adapters
- Adapts Trailer
- Fifth Wheel Trailer to Gooseneck Hitch
- 20000 lbs GTW
- Replaces King Pin
- King Pin Adapters
- Fabex 600
- Lippert 0719
- Lippert 1621
- Lippert 1716
- Lippert Rhino
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Best 5th Wheel to Gooseneck Adapters (2023)
- Video: Review of Demco Gooseneck and Fifth Wheel Adapters - Adapts Truck - DM8550045
- Shop: Demco Recon Gooseneck-to-5th Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter - Single Jaw - 21,000 lbs
- Article: Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapters
- Shop: B&W Companion Flatbed Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
- Q&A: Fifth Wheel Hitch to Gooseneck Trailer Adapter Recommendation for Truck with Industry Standard Rail
- Article: 4 Steps to Choosing Your 5th Wheel Pin Box
- Q&A: Recommended Offset Gooseneck Hitch Ball for the Ram Factory Puck System
- Article: Adapters for Towing a 5th Wheel Trailer with a Gooseneck Hitch
- Q&A: What is the Difference in the 3rd Generation Reese Goosebox?
- Q&A: Lippert Road Armor 1116 19k Pin Box Replacement Recommendation
- Q&A: How to Determine Correct Height Setting for 5th Wheel Hitch
- Q&A: Recommended Goose Box to Replace a Lippert Turning Point Pin Box
- Q&A: Will a Gen-Y 5th Wheel to Gooseneck Adapter Pin Box Void My Trailer Warranty
- Article: Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch Information and Installation Tips
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Guide to Choosing the Best Truck for 5th-Wheel Towing