Recommendation for Hitch Mount Bike Rack Allowing Tilting While Bikes are Loaded
Do any of the hitch mounted tilting bike racks tilt away while a bike is loaded on it. Say if you were toting a bike and had to access the back of your explorer while doing so?
asked by: Stuart
There are a couple of options of bike racks that allow you to leave the bikes loaded and gain access to your vehicle's rear cargo area.
I recommend the Thule Apex Swing # TH9027XT. This bike rack accommodates up to 4 bikes and fits a 2 inch hitch receiver. Rather than tilting away from your vehicle, the Apex swings to the side to allow full access to the cargo area without the need to work around the bike rack. The rack features anti-sway cradles to better secure your bike, and prevent bike-to-bike contact. Built into the bike rack is a cable lock that allows you to secure your bikes to the rack. I have attached a video of this rack to help.
If you plan on carrying bikes with alternative frames, such as kids' bikes or women's bikes, I recommend using an adapter bar, like # 64005. The adapter bar attaches between the seat post and the handlebar stem. This allows the bike to be positioned more level in the carrier while providing additional ground clearance. I have attached a product review video for this adapter bar.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Spare Tire Bike Racks
- Trunk Bike Racks
- Adapter Bar
- 24-3/8 - 33-3/4 Inch Long
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Which Mirror Monitor Will Work With The Rear View Safety Backup Camera System # RVS-770613-213?
- Q&A: Recommended 4-Bike Rack for a 2021 Mazda CX-5 W/ A 2" Hitch
- Q&A: 4 Bike Rack Recommendation for Use at Rear of Motorhome and Flat Towed Ford F-150
- Q&A: How To Help Further Stabilize the Inno Tire Hold 1 Bike Platform Rack During Transport
- Q&A: Bike Rack Recommendation to Carry 4 Bikes on 2006 Subaru Outback
- Q&A: Compatibility of RockyMounts SplitRail 4-Bike Rack and Stealth Hitches Rack Receiver on 2018 XC90
- Q&A: Thule Tram Ski and Snowboard Adapter Compatibility With Thule Apex Swing 4 Bike Rack
- Article: Trailer Hitch Receiver Sizes
- Article: Routing the Power Wire for a Trailer Wiring Harness
- Article: How to Carry Bikes While Towing a Travel Trailer
- Article: How to Strap a Bike To a Roof Rack
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Electric Bikes
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Families with Kids (2023)