Select Your Vehicle

View Cart

Adding a 4-Way Trailer Connector to a European Motorhome Towing an American Trailer


I have a 2008 National RV motorhome on a 2007 F53 Ford frame. It has the European tail light system. I have trailer that has the standard American lighting. I was told there is a tail light converter that will make these two systems compatable. Thank you.

asked by: Dennis

Expert Reply:

In order to provide a compatible 4-Way at the rear of your 2008 National RV with European taillight system for use with an American trailer, you will need to hardwire the Upgraded Circuit Protected Modulite with 4 Pole Harness and Hardwire Kit, # 119179KIT.

You will need access to the wiring behind each taillight on the RV. Use the included circuit tester to test the wires for function. On the harness, the yellow wire is left turn signal, the brown wire is running lights, the green wire is right turn signal, the red wire (ran to the driver side taillight) is for brake lights, and the white wire is the ground. If the RV uses the same bulb for stop and turn light functions, you will need to ground the red wire with the white wire.

The separate red wire will get connected to the RV positive battery terminal via the in line fuse. The included 20 feet of 12 gauge wire might not be long enough depending on how long the RV is. You can always add more using # 12-1-1. Wire is sold in 1 foot increments. If you wanted 5 feet, for example, you would enter 5 in the Quantity box. The power wire provides the power to the trailer lights while the other connections to the RV provide the signals. I have included a link to the installation instructions for the 119179KIT wiring harness below.

expert reply by: Michael H

Michael H

Have a question for the experts? click here.

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

More Answers about Wiring >

Featured Help Information

Installation InstructionsInstructions for 119179KIT