Custom Fit Exhaust
In this article we give an overview of how to install a MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust system. We begin by detailing how best to remove your existing OEM exhaust system. We will then show how to replace it with an aftermarket, performance exhaust system.
1. Disconnect the vehicle's battery before removing the OEM exhaust system. This will allow the computer to reset itself with the new exhaust system and prevent electrical accidents.
2. Most OEM exhaust systems cannot be removed all in one piece because the extension pipe(s) and the muffler will not fit over the axle. The system must be removed separately. The pipe that rises over the axle is the tailpipe (sometimes called the "over-the-axle pipe"). On most cat-back systems, it welds to the muffler in front of the axle. Begin by cutting this pipe 1" from the muffler. Disengage any hangers on the tailpipe from the OEM rubber insulators. Remove the tailpipe from the insulators.
NOTE: When removing the OEM exhaust system, parts might be stuck together because of rust buildup. Spray any clamps, hangers or rubber insulators with lubricant to loosen rust buildup. If hangers are too difficult to dislodge from the rubber insulators, remove the rubber insulators from the vehicle frame to gain leverage in removing the OEM part. Be careful to not damage any OEM rubber insulators. You will reuse them to mount the new exhaust system.
3. Unbolt the muffler from the clamp connecting it to the extension pipe. Disengage any hangers on the muffler from the OEM rubber insulators. Remove the muffler from the insulators.
4. Unbolt the extension pipe(s) from the catalytic converter. Disengage any hangers on the extension pipe(s) from the OEM rubber insulators. Remove the extension pipe(s) from the insulators.
NOTE: Depending on your vehicle, you may not need to remove any extension pipes. Some aftermarket exhaust systems do not replace any extension pipes; the new muffler merely connects to the OEM extension pipe. Refer to your specific directions to determine which extension pipes, if any, to remove.
1. Working rearward, insert the new extension pipe(s) into either the OEM catalytic converter or OEM extension pipe, depending on your vehicle and aftermarket exhaust system. Clamp the new extension pipe(s) to the OEM catalytic converter or OEM extension pipe. Insert any hangers on the extension pipe into the OEM rubber insulators.
NOTE: Some aftermarket exhaust systems include two lengths of the same extension pipe to accommodate earlier and later models of the same year. Refer to your specific directions to verify that you have the appropriate extension pipe before installation.
NOTE: During installation, leave all clamped connections loose for final adjustment of the aftermarket system when all parts are in place.
2. Slide the new muffler over the back of the extension pipe. Clamp the muffler and the extension pipe together. Insert any hangers on the muffler into the OEM rubber insulators.
3. Slide the tailpipe extension over the back of the muffler. Clamp the tailpipe extension and the muffler together. Insert any hangers on the tailpipe extension into the OEM rubber insulators.
NOTE: If your aftermarket system does not include a tailpipe extension, skip ahead to "Step 4."
4. Slide the tailpipe into the back of either the tailpipe extension or the muffler. Clamp the tailpipe and the tailpipe extension or muffler together. Insert any hangers on the tailpipe into the OEM rubber insulators.
5. With all parts mounted loosely, make final adjustments to the exhaust system to clear the vehicle frame. Allow at least 1/2" of clearance between the exhaust system and any body panels to prevent heat damage.
6. After choosing a final position for all new parts, evenly tighten all clamps from front to rear. Connect the battery, turn on the vehicle and check for any leaks.
NOTE: Inspect all clamps and OEM rubber insulators after 25 to 50 miles of operation and retighten if necessary.
Contact and Help
What our customers are saying:
I have shoped all over the web and by far you are the lowest price and the 3day free shipping just cant be beat!!!!!!
Subscribe to email newsletter
privacy - we don't send unsolicited email
All images, layout and content copyright etrailer.com